Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2018, 08:00 PM

Default Thoughts on re-barreling this 1917

I've owned this 1917 Eddystone (serial # 174xxx) since around 1980. I've never fired it because the barrel looked to be shot out. I recently bought a muzzle wear gauge. Mine only goes up to three and it was swallowed by this barrel, I could drop it right down to the breech. An M2 ball round goes in all the way to the brass.

The rifle is essentially all Eddystone except for the front barrel band and the barrel which are both Winchester. The rifle went through a rebuild at some point after WW I at Augusta Arsenal. The Winchester barrel is dated March 1919.

I have been thinking about having it re-barreled so I could enjoy shooting it. I don't plan on selling the rifle so I'm not worried about hurting the monetary value. I would keep the current barrel with the rifle so it could always be restored to its current condition if a future owner wanted to go that direction.

If it was the original barrel to rifle I'd leave it alone, but it's a rebuild barrel that is shot out. Am I over thinking this? All opinions are welcome.

Last edited by 32sbct; 03-12-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Do you have any reason to think it's unsafe to fire?

If not, shoot it and see how it performs. MW is a reference; it is not an absolute.
If the barrel is otherwise in good condition you may consider a counterbore. Many find this effective to address a worn muzzle.
But the only way to know the accuracy is bullets heading downrange.

Consider that MW and TE are really only discussed regarding US Military rifles.
Everyone else just shoots them to determine accuracy. :-)
JH
Old 03-12-2018, 09:36 PM

Ditto what ZMan said. If accuracy is nihl, replace the barrel with a JA.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:13 AM

Good luck finding a JA barrel. Buy a new barrel from CMP.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif-Steve View Post
Yes, I've been keeping my on eBay and have not seen anything worth buying yet. I'm also concerned about headspace being correct on a used barrel. That may not be an issue but I won't know until after I buy. I plan on using the CMP custom shop for the barrel change.

I plan on taking it to the range first as suggested. However I'm not optimistic, an m2 ball round doesn't even touch the rifling. If I don't see something worthwhile pop up for sale I plan on going with a new Criterion barrel.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:30 AM

I just tried a 150 grain Remington Core-lok which does seem to fit my tighter. I'll probably load up some rounds with this bullet also to see how it shoots.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif-Steve View Post
I found one in the last two weeks.... excellent shape ! Bore is a mirror. Muzzle reads less than 1. Only problem is Eddeystones are prone to cracking receivers when rebarreled. My 17 Eddy came with a JA when I bought it.. shoots ok but half the barrel toward the muzzle is beat. But yeah as Califsteve said, get a Criterion from CMP. 17 barrels show up on ebay occasionally, a Winchester just got sold for 100 bucks.

Last edited by USRIFLEM1917; 03-13-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:01 PM

I have a Dec '18 Eddystone/JA barrel that's likely a Danish import. It too has a well worn muzzle and swallows a bullet past the neck. I shoot it regularly and am surprised by the accuracy. It's not great, but I consistently hit a 10 inch steel at 150 yds. At some point I plan to go the CMP/Critrion barrel route.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:13 PM

Tested .311 diameter bullets in worn Danish M1s years ago. In paired tests with 150gr .308 vs .311, the oversize bullet won every time in group size. Nosler SPS is selling .310 125gr bullets for around $13/100. I am using them in all my 30-06 & .308 rifles with good results. Just make sure they will fit into fired case necks easily and use moderate loads. Good Shooting. ...