Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 11:37 AM

Talking Noncorrosive Chart and additional cleaning info

This chart lists dates and beginning lot numbers for noncorrosive production.
It was published in TN9-1305-200 dated June 1961.
I suggest you right click on the chart and save it to your computer with a descriptive name.

Dave

Photobucket wants me to pay to host 3d party viewing. I will not pay. Hopefully another member can repost the chart. Sorry.

Post #66 on page 7 by JMM has the chart viewable.

Last edited by dfancysr; 08-27-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: .steve. added info
Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 PM
GSM Master Instructor

sweet
thanks for sharing !
Old 02-09-2010, 08:09 AM

Default Korean M2 Ball basics

here is the info from the Korean Ammo post below

Korean

This is the surplus Korean M2 Ball. It is good quality and decent for plinking and some lots are more accurate than others. It is found packed in 20 round boxes or in Garand clips.

The two choices are:

"PS" headstamped (Poonsang Metal Corp, Seoul) Sometimes confused as "P8".

"KA" headstamped (Korean arsenal, Pusan)

Notice the headstamps below. The ammo is identical to USGI ammo and performs similar. Accuracy was about 3-4" @100yds with an "average" Garand. The cases are ALL Boxer primed and reloadable, just remove the crimp first.

There are a few drawbacks....namely in that ALL "KA" ammo is corrosive so clean accordingly. While the "PS" ammo is non-corrosive there are a few problem batches of ammo, namely lot 2-152 and 156. These are all '75 dated and have had splits that run into the primer pocket. It is interesting to note that the US had similar problems at Frankford Arsenal in the 20's & 30's. One, the brass "disks" that were to be formed into cases were too close together and they got nicks in them. These nick caused cracks to form down the case and they could ruptere under pressure. On some of the Lot 2-152 cases you can actually see the "nick" near the case head. These will definitly split when fired. The other was from the headstamp die being offcenter and it too caused a "hard or brittle" spot on that side of the casing.

The reason for this may be that the Poonsang factory didn't start production until late 1973 and possibly got a bad batch of brass early on or they were just having some start up problems. Later years and different calibers do not have any problems. Buy this ammo up now while it's still around, you may regret it one day!
Old 03-22-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfancysr View Post
. . . I suggest you right click on the chart and save it to your computer with a descriptive name. Dave
Here is a link to the same chart but for 30 & 45 cal only.
(Reference TM9-1305 - 200 June 1961)
http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/3...mo-nctable.htm
Old 04-25-2010, 03:57 PM

Wonder if someone would be kind enough to confirm my interpretation of the ammo I have. LC 54, Lake City; TW 54, Twin Cities; non-corrosive, ok to shoot. DEN 43, don't see it listed anywhere but assume definitely wartime and corrosive.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:05 PM

Denver closed down after the war and never made non corrosive primed ammo. That is why it is not listed on the chart.
The LC and TW both are dated after the conversion.

Dave
Old 04-26-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfancysr View Post
Denver closed down after the war and never made non corrosive primed ammo. That is why it is not listed on the chart.
The LC and TW both are dated after the conversion.

Dave
Very good thanks. Guess I will treat the DEN 43 as collector ammo.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:16 PM

The kind folks at the CMP just announced the headstamps found on the first (only?) batch of AP that will be offered and it includes AYR and HXP. Do we have info for these types as well?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 PM

I liked this small article and chart about corrosive ammo.
http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/do...rimerRedux.pdf
Old 05-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Default Den 43

I have two cans of the stuff -- it is on 5 round strippers in 60 round bandoleers with cards indicating a LC repack. I am slowly working my way through the first can and it is good shooting stuff and easy to handle with corrosive cleaning techniques. I dunk the brass in soapy water after shooting and am using it for relaods. It gives great service in modest loadings and I have had no problem with case corrosion or splitting. If it was in its original packaging, I would preserve as collector stuff, but otherwise see no reason not to shoot it.