X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickL
    • Oct 2009

S&W 1917 Army Revolver

Anyone here collect these things? I found one in a pawn shop today I am thinking about adding it to my collection. From what I can tell it looks pretty close to being original w/original finish at 90-95%. I do not know what to look for on these and the sticker was $600. Any help on this? Thanks!!
  • Rick the Librarian
    • Oct 2009

If described as you say, $600 is a pretty good price.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Comment

• ksp45
      • May 2010

go to the smith&wesson forum,those guys forgot more about them than i will ever know,plus they are a very nice bunch to boot

Comment

• rcolarco
        • Oct 2009

If the gun is in nice shape, with the original small smooth walnut grips, and still has the lanyard ring, $600 is not too bad.

They are lots of fun to shoot. You will be surprised at the light recoil compared to a 1911. You don't need moon clips with the S&W, if you don't mind picking out the empties with your fingernails.

Most have shallow rifling, and don't shoot non-jacketed bullets all that well.

I load auto-rim brass for these. It allows the extractor to work. You can load auto-rim with regular ACP dies, but you need a different shell holder.
        NRA-certified rifle (48 years), pistol, home firearms safety, and personal protection instructor
        NRA-certified range safety officer
        North Dakota and Maryland certified hunter safety instructor
        ACEP-certified coach

Comment

• Milsurp Collector
          • Oct 2009

The M1917 was made by both Smith & Wesson and Colt. I have a Colt. They used half-moon clips to hold the rimless .45ACP rounds.

Comment

• Tinpig
            • Oct 2009

I bought one of the Brazilian contract S&W M1917s last year. It's very enjoyable to shoot and extremely accurate. It's so big it just doesn't move in your hands. Like rcolarco I load .45ACP auto-rim brass so the ejector works...the moon clips were only fun for so long.
            It's one of my favorite revolvers.

Tinpig

Comment

• Rick the Librarian
              • Oct 2009

I just load 45 ACP "straight" without benefit of clips. Taking the empty brass off the clips are a real pain and, shooting at the range, and not needing to fire so quickly that I can't just pull out the empty cases one at a time.

I have a Colt M1917 and would like a S&W at some point.
              "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
              --C.S. Lewis

Comment

• musketjon
                Banned
                • Oct 2009

Here's mine along with its RR cousin. I use the .45 Auto Rim brass so I don't have to mess with moon clips.
                Jon

Comment

• Charlie59
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
                  I just load 45 ACP "straight" without benefit of clips. Taking the empty brass off the clips are a real pain and, shooting at the range, and not needing to fire so quickly that I can't just pull out the empty cases one at a time.

I have a Colt M1917 and would like a S&W at some point.
                  I understand you can get clips made out of a polymer that are real easy to empty. Brownells, etc. sell them.

Comment

• 2flasargent
                    • May 2011

A 1917 Smith has been my go to /open carry gun for years. When I got it there were brass transfer imprints of cartridge heads on the recoil shield, probably been in a nightstand for umpteen years. You could almost read the headstamps and the gun appeared nearly unfired. I'd guess several thousand rounds later it's still tight and right. Excellent revolver. .

Comment

• Rick the Librarian
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Charlie59 View Post
                      I understand you can get clips made out of a polymer that are real easy to empty. Brownells, etc. sell them.
                      Again, I just don't see the need for them unless you need to reload the pistol in a "combat" situation.
                      --C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Charlie59
                        • Oct 2009

My Colt 1917 wouldn't fire .45 acp shells without clips, since Colt didn't counter bore the cylinder. It doesn't make a difference with a S&W.

Comment

• sigman2
                          • Oct 2009

I don't have a 1917. I'd grab one in a heartbeat if I could find one at a decent price. But I do love my S&W 25-2s! I don't use the half or full moon clips although I have an ample supply. I load .45 Auto Rim but do occasionally shoot ACP. I've never had any trouble getting the empty cases out. If one did stick a pencil would do the job. Wheelguns, the reloader's dream!

CMP Customer # 131290
                          NRA Patron Member
                          Garand Collectors Association
                          Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
                          http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138

Comment

• Milsurp Collector
                            • Oct 2009

My Colt 1917 wouldn't fire .45 acp shells without clips, since Colt didn't counter bore the cylinder. It doesn't make a difference with a S&W.
                            Only the first 50,000 Colt Model 1917s had straight chambers that required half-moon clips. After that they changed to stepped chambers like the S&W. My Colt Model 1917 has stepped chambers.

Comment

• Rick the Librarian
                              • Oct 2009

Good point. Colt made the modification relatively early in production to allow the M1917 to use .45 ACP cartridges. You must have one of the early ones. Obviously, if you do, the clips are the only option (other than using .45 Colt rimmed).
                              --C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X