Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2020, 12:59 PM

Smile CMP's AR Tactical Rifle Mid & Long Range Classes

My son's & I have been shooting the NRA Mid-Range Tactical Rifle AR Class for a couple years now & having a great time with it.

I'm wondering how many folks will give the new class a try with the CMP?

Can't wait to shoot this at Long Range.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:08 PM

I only read through them quickly, but didn't the new 2021 Rules Addendum add an AR tactical class to the Long range stuff (Palma etc...)
Old 11-26-2020, 11:06 PM

CMP F-CLASS AND AR TACTICAL RIFLE MATCHES
Beginning in 2021, the CMP will include F-Class and AR Tactical Rifle Matches in its National Matches Long Range Rifle Matches program. The following rules will be used to govern the conduct of these matches.

Rule 1.5 CMP Recognized Highpower Rifle Events – Add new events as follows:

See Rules 5.10-5.12
Old 12-21-2020, 02:54 PM

Without the rules dig, we can take our carbine gas / 16" ARs out of the closet and stretch out to 600 yards?
May it rest in peace.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
Without the rules dig, we can take our carbine gas / 16" ARs out of the closet and stretch out to 600 yards?
Sure - I am sure your pullers will really appreciate it.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
Old 12-21-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
I'm currently shooting a 18" barrel w/77 SMK's in the NRA's 600 yard Tactical AR Class (@ 1460+ fps). A 16" tube w/77 grain SMK's should be good to 600 yards(somewhere around 1400+ fps @ sea level).

I think it's gonna take a 20" tube with some long loaded 80+ grain pills (for a 5.56mm) to get out to 1000 yards in the CMP's Long Range Tactical AR Class.

Andy Legg
Old 12-22-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy legg View Post
I'm currently shooting a 18" barrel w/77 SMK's in the NRA's 600 yard Tactical AR Class (@ 1460+ fps). A 16" tube w/77 grain SMK's should be good to 600 yards(somewhere around 1400+ fps @ sea level).

I think it's gonna take a 20" tube with some long loaded 80+ grain pills (for a 5.56mm) to get out to 1000 yards in the CMP's Long Range Tactical AR Class.

Andy Legg
About 3 Hiroshima’s and toss the brass in the garbage as you leave the range...
Old 12-23-2020, 12:29 PM

Default English Translation Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
About 3 Hiroshima’s and toss the brass in the garbage as you leave the range...
I assume your comments are meant to be productive towards the CMP's implementation of this new classification for what is now widely considered by many as the most popular rifle in the United States.

If your comments are meant to challenge the legitimacy of the class....the challenge is gladly accepted. I would be happy to meet at a CMP or NRA AR Tactical Rifle Competition. To make it more interesting, I would donate $1000 to the 501c3 charity of your choice if you can outshoot my 17 year old son. Of course if he some how were to beat you, you could show your mutual respect via a $1000 donation to the JDRF(Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation).

If I have "Over-Reacted" to your comments to my original post...please disregard my offer.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy legg View Post
I assume your comments are meant to be productive towards the CMP's implementation of this new classification for what is now widely considered by many as the most popular rifle in the United States.

If your comments are meant to challenge the legitimacy of the class....the challenge is gladly accepted. I would be happy to meet at a CMP or NRA AR Tactical Rifle Competition. To make it more interesting, I would donate $1000 to the 501c3 charity of your choice if you can outshoot my 17 year old son. Of course if he some how were to beat you, you could show your mutual respect via a $1000 donation to the JDRF(Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation).

If I have "Over-Reacted" to your comments to my original post...please disregard my offer.
Shoot what you want that doesn’t really bother me. Though I do feel it is a disservice to let a 17 year old boy shoot off of a bipod rather than from a sling if they are able bodied.

Now - what I meant, before you went off the rails, is that if you plan to attempt to shoot a AR @ 1k you are very likely going to load powder charges that are over pressure (I rate them in Hiroshima’s) and very likely the primers are going to fall out and or the case webs are going to over expand so you may as well throw the brass in the trash on your way off of the range...

Figure you better send an 80 SMK > 2800 FPS from muzzle @ 90 F, 29.9 in H2O, 60% RH, 700 feet if you want to keep bullets going pointy end first through the target - BARELY.

Last edited by Rootsy; 12-23-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:48 PM

Default Hiroshimas's...now I get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
Shoot what you want that doesn’t really bother me. Though I do feel it is a disservice to let a 17 year old boy shoot off of a bipod rather than from a sling if they are able bodied.

Now - what I meant, before you went off the rails, is that if you plan to attempt to shoot a AR @ 1k you are very likely going to load powder charges that are over pressure (I rate them in Hiroshima’s) and very likely the primers are going to fall out and or the case webs are going to over expand so you may as well throw the brass in the trash on your way off of the range...

Figure you better send an 80 SMK > 2800 FPS from muzzle @ 90 F, 29.9 in H2O, 60% RH, 700 feet if you want to keep bullets going pointy end first through the target - BARELY.
I get the Hiroshima's pun now and I appreciate your legitimate concern regarding the life of our Lake City Brass. In all seriousness, it's not as bad as you might think. Using safe load development practices, We have successfully worked up a load that launch's 80 Grain SMK's at 2796 fps (sea level @ 40*F). Surprisingly, the brass life is slightly better than the 77 SMK load we typically use at 600 yards.

By your own admission it would be quite a challenge just to work up a safe, accurate and distance capable load for the class (that doesn't wreck havoc on brass). Also, The rules do allow for the use of a Sling (not restricted to a Bipod).

I don't have appreciation for your comments regarding a perceived disservice to my son by encouraging him to compete in CMP & NRA High Power Rifle Competitions.

All said....we come from a VERY COMPETITIVE Family (You should be a fly on the wall for Family Game Nite). My offer stands...you should easily be able to out-shoot a 17 year old boy (especially a dis-serviced one). I am sure you support a charity organization that could make good use of an easy $1000 donation made in your name.

As far as the CMP adding the AR Tactical Class to the Long Range High Power Rifle Competition, Dylan(my son) and I are very glad they did so. We are looking forward to the 2600 mile round trip together this summer to compete at the 1000 yard line. We hope to see you there