Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 PM

Default Origional M1 Carbine or not?

National Postal Meter M1 Carbine, SER# 4151961, adjustable rear sight "IR CO" 7160060, with an Inland Barrel dated 2/44, BARRELL BAND WITH bayonet lug marked "JMO" Any opinions on this being just another Hienz 57 mix master, or something that is origional parts? Lookin for some of your knowlege/opinions. I would have posted pics, but unable to so so yet.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:44 PM

Type 3 adjustable sight and type 3 barrel band would not be original to your carbine. Most were through rebuilds where they were updated with later revision parts.
Off hand I'm not sure if the Inland barrel is original. The proof markings would tell the story.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:39 AM

Toward the end of production, some carbines came off the line with the updated features, but I think this one is too early and I don't know if any NPM's did. Scrutinize the stock for any arsenal rebuild stamps. Like GotSnlB28 said...odds are always in favor of it being a rebuild.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:16 AM

Oh I feel sure it prob is a rebuild, by what you guys have said, & what I have recently researched, & I'm not concerned about the value, just curious. The stock is about as rough as they get, with what looks like Korean Writing on it in white paint, & no other markings. Where would a proof marking on the barrel be?
Old 05-22-2019, 06:30 AM

[QUOTE=Where would a proof marking on the barrel be?[/QUOTE]

It may be under the barrel band in the area of the bayonet lug. Between the nose of the stock and the manufactures barrel marks on top of the barrel. Look for a p or a punch-mark.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:13 PM

Doe the barrel by chance say BLUE SKY

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids.

I WAS the proud owner of 45+ 100% A+ ratings on the old itrader system.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:14 PM

No, not a blue sky

I did find out today how CMP works, or at least better than I did. I was wanting to send my carbine to em to inspect & do what was needed to it, & talked to a guy there that told me it was about a 2-3 month back log. I asked him about the paperwork to do that, with later on buying a rifle, & he told me once I sent in the initial paperwork for gunsmith work. I would be on file & the paperwork to buy a rifle would be less. Real nice guy to talk to. So, now it's a wait game, which is fine. I trust these guys with what I want done, although I know there are other shops out there. I'm new to this forum, & CMP, but I like what I'm hearing so far.

Last edited by Big_Red; 05-25-2019 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 05-23-2019, 07:09 PM

Proof on a NPM would be a small punch mark near the P of the barrel maker. NPM did not build in sequence. 4151961 could be a 1944 gun or earlier. The barrel maker helps in this hunt. An IBM Barrel would be very late production. They stopped production in April of 44.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:34 PM

The info I have read indicates the rifle was made anywhere from 12/43 to 4/44. With the barrel being made 2/44 it possibly could be the original one. But, when it was in the re build mode, which it prob was, that barrel could have been the one on hand that replaced the original. From what I have read about carbines, & hell, it's a lot of info out there, & guys on here know a lot also, it's still a big guess. My rifle doesn't look bad except for the stock, & it appears the piston is stuck.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:13 PM

The piston does not always move easily, most likely it's fine. Take it to the range and you'll know if it's working. I have only had one that was stuck-stuck and it didn't cycle properly.

Enjoy your rifle they are a blast to own.