Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2017, 04:37 PM

Default EIC at Perry, 6-17-17, K-Berg targets: Net Gain.

Net gain.
Definition:The overall improvement observed in some measure after all positive and negative influences have been fully accounted for.

I shot the EIC Match at Camp Perry today, Where the CMP used the Kongsberg acoustic targets on Viale Range for the first time.

We shot 200 standing slow fire and 200 rapid with a couple small issues, including a boat in the impact area.

At 300 yards we all, including the CMP, became aware that some wiring was damaged due to lowering & raising the targets on the stands. The CMP staff kept us informed of attempts to repair.

The first relay fired at 300 with some target issues. After the second relay fired,and continuing issues, it was decided to cancel the rest of the match.

Good call by the CMP . The said they are refunding/crediting our match fee
(our choice), and that this DOES NOT count as firing a EIC Match. VERY professional on there part.

This new technology MUST be tested. Today was that day. I think the "bugs" will get worked out, quickly, with today's test. It already worked at Camp Butner (Eastern Games) last month. It will work at Perry in the near future. I'll be there shooting on these K-Bergs.

I'm glad I got to shoot on Viale Range today. I learn something each time I do.
It was worth my time and effort.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/
Old 06-17-2017, 05:06 PM

Who was raising and lowering targets? Like actual 60 second exposure during rapids?
Old 06-17-2017, 05:17 PM

They had a crew in the pits just to initially hang the targets, then change them out for the 300 and 600. They don't go up and down between stages. Target exposure times are controlled electronically. If you fire early or late it simply doesn't register the shot. It sounded like the cables weren't quite long enough, so they were getting ripped out of the connectors when the targets were sent up after changing to the 300 yard centers. They said the targets are wired in blocks, so if 1 Cable was damaged, a block of targets went down.

I agree that they handled the situation very well. I've always been impressed with the way the CMP handles the conduct of their matches, especially compared to the other party that is involved (or supposed to be) in holding matches. I have no doubt they'll get it handled. We all knew this was a dry run to test the system and something like this could happen.

Last edited by mtlucas0311; 06-17-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:13 PM

"If you fire early or late it simply doesn't register the shot."

If the targets perform like the ones at Talladega, they will register shots after time is called. Happened to me there during rapids I had an equipment problem and scrambled to get off my remaining shots before time/cease fire was called. Well I got off all 10 and all 10 registered hits, but a line judge came over and said the tower said my last 2 shots were after cease fire was called so they are both to be counted as M's. Yes I was bummed after just shooting 98 2X in slow prone, and my scorer said I got the shots off before time was called, life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlucas0311 View Post
They had a crew in the pits just to initially hang the targets, then change them out for the 300 and 600. They don't go up and down between stages. Target exposure times are controlled electronically. If you fire early or late it simply doesn't register the shot. It sounded like the cables weren't quite long enough, so they were getting ripped out of the connectors when the targets were sent up after changing to the 300 yard centers. They said the targets are wired in blocks, so if 1 Cable was damaged, a block of targets went down.

I agree that they handled the situation very well. I've always been impressed with the way the CMP handles the conduct of their matches, especially compared to the other party that is involved (or supposed to be) in holding matches. I have no doubt they'll get it handled. We all knew this was a dry run to test the system and something like this could happen.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 06-21-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon762 View Post
This new technology MUST be tested. Today was that day. I think the "bugs" will get worked out, quickly, with today's test. It already worked at Camp Butner (Eastern Games) last month. It will work at Perry in the near future. I'll be there shooting on these K-Bergs.
Just remember, the KTS target systems have been around for several decades, at least, and the CMP has been operating them in various locations for 3 years now with problems at their flagship location from the beginning that were blamed on the customer in most instances.

This is not new technology at all.

If it needs testing still, it shouldn't be dumped on the customer.

Last edited by missilegeek; 06-21-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:25 AM

Missilegeek, I agree that the technology and its application is not new. However, I do think that there are some issues with the specific applications that need to be worked out. In this case, it appears that they did not provide adequate cable strain relief when setting up the targets on moving target frames. I think that this lesson has been learned.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:00 AM

Cables and boards were repaired and we shot on the Etargets for all cup week matches. Not a single hiccup with any shot I took and nothing I would contest. Overall the week ran very well. Off the range by 1:30 or earlier each day.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Old 07-06-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
Cables and boards were repaired and we shot on the Etargets for all cup week matches. Not a single hiccup with any shot I took and nothing I would contest. Overall the week ran very well. Off the range by 1:30 or earlier each day.
A great success story!
Vic