Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 AM

Default Another 6-23-12 Report

I got there early Saturday. The racks were full of around 40 or 50 HRA Service Grades. Most had USGI wood. They had some really nice ones. Some looked like they had Correct Grade quality stocks.
There were no SA Service Grades. There were about 6 WRA Service Grades with new CMP stocks.
The racks were full of SA and HRA Field Grades.
There was a good selection of bayonets. They had new slings and rough used slings.
The store got really crowded for a while. It was a good day to get a HRA Service Grade.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Freeman View Post
The racks were full of SA and HRA Field Grades.
I'm hoping it remains that way for a little while.. I'm stopping in at the store on the morning of the 6th and would like to pick out a couple nice FG's to have shipped home..
Old 06-29-2012, 06:06 PM

Tell all about the FG's. I know what they say about FG TE/ME but figure they've got to have some that are better.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx'd View Post
Tell all about the FG's. I know what they say about FG TE/ME but figure they've got to have some that are better.
When I'm at the store, it's the FG's that I'm after.. There's some that aren't very nice, but there's always a bunch in the racks with excellent TE/ME and wood that's a little rough.. Small cracks, mismatched wood types, etc..

Usually, I'm able to walk away with a rifle that has TE/ME almost like new (usually 1.5 on ME or less, and 3 or less on TE). These rifles shoot great, but the wood needs a bit of work..

I'll strip the metal off, toss all the wood in the dishwasher on high and clean all the oil out, which also lifts many smaller dents, and then I'll allow to dry.
A light sand to remove the lifted hairs, and I'll go at it with BLO and steel wool.. Makes for a great winter project.

The result is a rifle that gauges better than SG, and has better wood to boot..
Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 AM

Are the FG's mostly post war? I'm thinking it's time for a been there done that rifle, with a little character.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 AM

I've purchased 4 FG's that were actually pre-war.. I've got 3 SA's and 1 Winchester that are 5 digit serial numbers. You'll find the FG racks contains everything, you just need to take the time to search for the gems..

Also remember that the gauges that the armorers use are well worn and gauge a bit bigger than what a new gauge shows.. A 2 on the tag will actually gauge a 1.5, usually..

My last visit to the CMP.. Without looking in my book, I think it was 3 SA's (one was a low 5 digit) one Winnie, and one HRA, and all were FG's that gauged great and just need a little TLC to be a great rifle.. All are already very good!!

And with a few hours of free time, you can get a great shooting rifle that looks the part yet is smooth and comfortable to shoot..

Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Thanx for the feedback. Did you make the handguards yourself from the wood in that pile? (Just kidding.)
Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 AM

It's tough to order a FG by mail order.. I've never had the guts to do it. My SG's were all mail order, but the FG's were hand picked at the South Store..

Like I mentioned, I'll be walking in to say "Good Morning" to Leon and staff on Friday morning.. I purchased a motorcycle in FL and I'm flying down and riding it back home to the IL/WI state line, and can't think of a better thing to do than stop in and see the staff at the south store, and see if another FG calls out to me..
Old 07-02-2012, 10:35 AM

I beg to differ regarding the CMP armorers using worn gauges. Armorers measure the TE/ME in order to grade the rifles, and as a higher number generally denotes a lower grade, will err on the side of caution. A bit of grease, not inserting the gauge 2-3 times with a small twist will all cause differing readings. But the end result is of no real difference on most of the non-collector grades. More importantly, while I suspect most tools wear over time/use, I thunk the amount of wear on a tool grade steel ME or TE gauge is much less of a factor than user technique, temperature variations or most importantly, differences from tool to tool/brand.
We all know CMP grading is what, 99.999% generous. I suspect there is not much pressure on the armorers to spend more time on TE/ME to get a lower number.
Even if we assume the CMP gauges are 100% accurate and each measurement is QC checked, temperature stabilized and 99.9% scientifically accurate, then CMP would be flooded with complaints like "My rifle gauges .5 worse, I need a new barrel..." because of someones borrowed, incorrect or damaged gauge or "calibrated bullet".

I'd suspect standard CMP "err on the side of the customer" standard operating procedure over worn gauges.
JH
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 AM

Thanks, Paper, that's exactly what I am looking for!