Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2015, 11:44 AM

Default swedish m41b sniper

I know a lot of you guys that used to shoot your Swedish M41b's snipers at the CMP VS matches don't use them there any more. As they are not so competive now as they used to be. Maybe you would like to sell yours. I would like one in excellent condition, excellent barrel. With matching numbers on scope base and mount.Thanks
Old 11-19-2015, 07:02 PM

http://www.gunsinternational.com/search-results.cfm
Old 11-19-2015, 08:17 PM

I'm not a competitive shooter so why have the Swedes lost their edge?
Old 11-19-2015, 09:16 PM

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....vintage+sniper

apparently the reproduction 8 power scopes are the winners of late. I suppose they are out matching the 4 power old Ajacks at 600 yards. And a lot cheaper I suppose.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I know this is a "can of worms" that doesn't need re opening, but I don't get the use of reproduction scopes when everything else in this game is so strongly held to "as issued", or original. Reproduction scopes are original in appearance only and shouldn't be competing with the dated optics other rifles are stuck with. Anyway my apologies for going OT on you and best of luck in finding your Swede.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:19 AM

Well--should an original 8X USMC Unertl be allowed to compete against "the dated optics other rifles are stuck with"?? There will always be problems when allowing many different rifles in competitions such as the vintage sniper or vintage bolt match. Repro scopes, stocks, Criterion barrels, A3s turned into A4s, M1As masquerading as M14s.......none of this hurts competitive shooting. I just hope the quest for a competitive edge doesn't keep all the interesting rifles at home. Good Shooting. ...
Old 11-20-2015, 09:39 AM

cresco - you just reiterated my point. The other modern components you mention (stocks, barrels, faux A4s) do not approach the degree of magnitude in technological advancement that modern optics provide. If we are going down this path, and following your logic, why not allow other rifles to use modern scopes of similar optical power to the originals - such as a 4X Zeis for the Swede or a 3X Leupold for A4 replicas? Is it about shooting or maintaining the aesthetics of originality, such as what the repro Unertls provide? If it's aesthetics of originality then I argue that a modern Criterion barrel really isn't going to give you the degree of "edge" that a repro Unertl packed with modern optics will. And if you are going to allow a modern scope into the game masquerading as an antique then let's level the playing field with the use of modern optics for all. Now I'm sure my response just opened up a big crap can of worms so let's please keep this to an academic discussion. Again, my apologies for going OT and I wish the OP well in finding the right Swede.

PS - I too hope the quest for the competitive edge doesn't keep all the interesting rifles at home. How boring would that be, plus I fear it would degenerate the game into something that only the guys with the big bucks could play in.

Last edited by S99VG; 11-20-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Well--should an original 8X USMC Unertl be allowed to compete against "the dated optics other rifles are stuck with"?? There will always be problems when allowing many different rifles in competitions such as the vintage sniper or vintage bolt match. Repro scopes, stocks, Criterion barrels, A3s turned into A4s, M1As masquerading as M14s.......none of this hurts competitive shooting. I just hope the quest for a competitive edge doesn't keep all the interesting rifles at home. Good Shooting. ...
If you were going into combat you would want a Swede (or any one of a number of other sniper rifles) over the highly overrated M1903A1 w/8x Unertl. On a sunny afternoon on a target range it is, of course, a different story.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
cresco - you just reiterated my point. The other modern components you mention (stocks, barrels, faux A4s) do not approach the degree of magnitude in technological advancement that modern optics provide. If we are going down this path, and following your logic, why not allow other rifles to use modern scopes of similar optical power to the originals - such as a 4X Zeis for the Swede or a 3X Leupold for A4 replicas? Is it about shooting or maintaining the aesthetics of originality, such as what the repro Unertls provide? If it's aesthetics of originality then I argue that a modern Criterion barrel really isn't going to give you the degree of "edge" that a repro Unertl packed with modern optics will. And if you are going to allow a modern scope into the game masquerading as an antique then let's level the playing field with the use of modern optics for all.
There are modern replicas of several vintage scopes available. Nothing in the rules stops anyone from using any of them.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:04 PM

The CMP's statutory duty is to get shooters involved in marksmanship and sometimes that rubs the purists and collectors the wrong way, but at least I can understand why CMP does things the way they do to try to give shooting a better mass appeal. Which helps all of us in the long run.

I really like my 4x AJACK scope in low light. A scope for the tundra. I think the Germans sold the neutral Swedish the scopes in 1941-42 with the thought the Russians might come at them thru the tundra and the Sweds would shoot them.

Even though these M/41b's have fallen into such disfavor in the CMP VS matches, I am still willing to step up and take one off someone's hands!!!

Thanks guys.