Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2019, 04:46 PM

I've seen HXP spams of boxed ammo with corrosion due to the box glue but never in a spam of bandos.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:01 PM

Thanks to all of you guys that added info to this thread, I'm learning a lot here and I really appreciate everyone's insight and knowledge. When I go back I will take a pic of the can's lot numbers, etc and re-post and see what everyone thinks.

I am seriously thinking of leaning towards another stack of ammo the same shop has. They have a PASSLE of 20 round, brown cardboard boxes with the CMP logo printed on one side -- going for $15.00 a box. I took out a round and it looked like already fired brass. Was running out of time and didn't study it any closer. The boxes were all in good shape and crisp looking, in that they didn't look dog eared. I looked at ammo over on the sales site to see if I could find the same boxes but no luck.

Any thoughts? Thanks again -- Carl
Old 03-26-2019, 11:42 PM

Back in the 80's there was a company called Talon that remanufactured 30-06 and sold it in CMP boxes through the CMP. Good ammo.

Last edited by m1ashooter; 03-26-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:54 PM

A spam can of HXP on enblocs and bandoleers is worth $170. Its hard to find and on Gunbroker they have a can listed at $185. Buy the can and reuse the bandoleers and enbloc's
Old 03-27-2019, 11:03 AM

m1ashooter,

Thanks for the info! A+ on the 80's Talon scoop. A+ on the HXP info too, plus if I grab it local I don't have to worry about po$tage, etc.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
Back in the 80's there was a company called Talon that remanufactured 30-06 and sold it in CMP boxes through the CMP. Good ammo.
I can’t comment on this offering from the CMP. But I did buy de-linked LC M2 machine gun ammo. The Army gave it to the CMP, they sent it to Talon to process and put in boxes that said both Talon and CMP. I bought plenty and it looks like they de-linked the ammo, put it into the cardboard boxes and right back into the .30 cans it came in as the cans are marked linked ammo.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:35 PM

T38, thank you for your comments. I will finally have a chance tomorrow to go see it again and check it out since I have been better educated here on these forums. Will keep everyone posted -- Carl
Old 03-27-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
You must have had some pretty bad luck with your cans, and I've never heard anyone say HXP clipped spam cans are "often corroded"! I've personally opened and shot many, as in dozens of clipped spam cans from the CMP since 2009 and never had one with a compromised interior or ammo. It all looked as newly made and fired perfectly for M2 Ball, and while not match ammo, is quite capable of medaling in CMP/GSVMM Matches at 200 yards.
The enblocs and bandos are desirable to some folks who collect and reuse them, and the thick once fired brass is more desirable than thin commercial cases to reloaders.
$170-$180 is the going rate for the dwindling supply of remaining spam cans
My first CMP spam cans of 192 rnds of clipped HXP in 2009 cost $60 ea. Then the price just kept going up each year or 2. The last spam cans I bought from the CMP was durring a limited supply release just a few years ago for some 240 round clipped cans that cost $200 ea. iirc, and they are 1962 vintage. I'd never seen the 240 round clipped HXP cans so had to buy a couple, and understood the price is what today's market will bare. And those cans were sold out in a couple of days

Carl, I also agree with quoted comments, I have never opened a spam can that looked intact (no rust at seams) that had corroded ammo, always looked pristine.

and $170 is a good deal since you don't have to include shipping costs (tax could hurt you)

I have a few that are excess, (I'm thinking, don't shoot like I once did, but not quite ready to let go yet) price will just go up at least a little more as supply dwindles, the rel money right now is in SL spam cans and of course AP in spam cans.

NRA Endowment Life Member; Garand Collectors Association (GCA); Carbine Club; Ohio Gun Collector Assoc (OGCA)
Old 03-28-2019, 12:06 PM

Jimmyzwei,
Thanks to you too for your time and input!
Carl
Old 03-28-2019, 05:51 PM

I'm thinking for the clipped hxp, it was around lot 4032 or 4034 when they made the transition from USGI to newly made clips.