Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2019, 04:23 PM

Default Winchester M2 loading

I can assure you first hand that Winchester knows what powders and projectiles are safe in a Garand rifle.

Slow burning powders combined with HEAVY projectiles (200gr plus) WILL destroy a M1 rifle. Seen it happen on several occasions when shooters purchased the wrong 30-06 for their M1 due to inexperienced and unknowledgeable sales people selling any 30-06 on the shelf.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:31 PM

'In spec' for what era?

1938 or now?

Commercial loadings have gotten ever heavier through the years, aided by more progressive burning powders.

They are loading for modern bolt action rifles.

The Garand is neither modern nor bolt action.

Eric at Garand Gear has demonstrated gas cylinder pressures from some modern 150 grain cartridges that exceed the highest observed in actual military spec cartridges loaded for the M1.

Will you actually cause damage? Debatable. Is shooting this modern stuff well advised?

Well, it's your rifle and you're closest to it.... you decide.

That's the beauty of America.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:32 PM

This thread is still a thing? For Pete's sake the box of Win ammo has a GI shooting a Garand on the side. Safe bet that it's fine for the M1. But....make sure you have the right grease. The right grease is critical for M1 operation.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8232J View Post
'In spec' for what era?

1938 or now?

Commercial loadings have gotten ever heavier through the years, aided by more progressive burning powders.

They are loading for modern bolt action rifles.

The Garand is neither modern nor bolt action.

Eric at Garand Gear has demonstrated gas cylinder pressures from some modern 150 grain cartridges that exceed the highest observed in actual military spec cartridges loaded for the M1.

Will you actually cause damage? Debatable. Is shooting this modern stuff well advised?

Well, it's your rifle and you're closest to it.... you decide.

That's the beauty of America.
How do you know this??

Plenty of 30-06 autoloaders out there in civvy world...they manufacturers know this and load accordingly...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 07-07-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
How do you know this??

Plenty of 30-06 autoloaders out there in civvy world...they manufacturers know this and load accordingly...
Not all civvy world autoloaders have the identical gas system as a M1 Garand.

In fact none do. And those civvy autoloaders should be designed with the various loads in the commercial market. I believe Hornady Superformance loads caution about use in autoloaders (civvy) “Safe but some systems work better than others”.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammolab View Post

In fact none do. And those civvy autoloaders should be designed with the various loads in the commercial market. I believe Hornady Superformance loads caution about use in autoloaders (civvy) “Safe but some systems work better than others”.
Correct they have worse more violent gas systems then the garand and its the safest of them all....as explained on Hornadys website.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
Correct they have worse more violent gas systems then the garand and its the safest of them all....as explained on Hornadys website.
Sure they do...and they work with pretty much all ammo without breaking anything. How is the Garand “safer”. Are we in danger shooting other semi autos?
Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammolab View Post

Old 07-24-2019, 06:40 PM

Default Winchester M1 Garand Ammo

Today I received the August 2019 American Rifleman. Mark A. Keefe posted an article on page 8 about the Winchester commemorative ammo. He said the 30.06 Springfield load is marked .30 cal Ball M2 and has a 150 grain FMJ bullet at 2740 FPS--optimized to run in the M1 Garand. Someone else posted they had talked to Winchester customer service and they were told it is fine ammunition and made to shoot in the Garand. I am curious enough to call them tomorrow too and see if I get the same answer as he did when he called them. I believe I will. I only shot 1 box of this ammo in my Garand and did not see any pressure issues. I have a case and a half of this ammo and believe that is fine based upon my short time on the range with this ammunition. I will test at least 60 rounds next visit to the range and let you know what I find.
I think it will be positive.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:16 AM

Default Winchester Commemorative ammo

This morning I talked with Winchester Ammunition company tech support folks. Real nice people. Donnie whom I spoke with just happened to be the tester of this ammo in the Garand. He told me he successfully fired over 5000 rounds in the Garand and had no problems. He said they would never intentionally sell any product unless it was thoroughly tested especially ammo before it was released to the public. Corrosive primers really? Very Funny. There has not been any corrosive primers made by Winchester for over 70 years according to the Winchester folks FYI. He also advised me that the ammo is safe to shoot in in any other 30.06 rifle. The author of the article probably has an ax to grind with Winchester I guess.
Side Note: The Winchester ammunition people were very prompt to return my call and were very thorough with their answers. A first class group of folks for sure.