Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2019, 02:50 PM

If HXP came in AP, I'd say that the black was worn off or cleaned off before going into the box. If HXP used USA components (bullets), same thing.

OR, someone on the line shot at your target
Old 07-17-2019, 02:57 PM

Ammolab . . you and Edlmann have givem me an idea. Even though we've put hundreds of rounds on this particular plate, I don't know if we've ever hit the plate in this area. As I said it was high at 11 o'clock. We usually hit more to the center of the plate. Would it be possible that part of the plate was not tempered properly? When I go and check on the ammo question (as above) I'm going to take some HXP and PPU and see if I can hit this area again and get the same result.

Brian
Old 07-17-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPD1979 View Post
Ammolab,

Not discounting what you say at all. I went out and put a measure on the hole. It's 1/2". What else would melt a hole that size in AR500 plate coming from an '06? I still have about 16 rounds left from the clips I loaded from this box. I have a piece of this steel (not my plates, left over from a range remodel) that I'm going to try in the coming weeks the next time I hit the range. As I've said . . I've used this ammo for two years on these plates with no damage. I was surprised to see this. I'm aware of the steel core (7.62x51 AP,) we used to pick them out of the berm after shooting them. Still have some in my range bag. I'm perplexed.

Thanks,

Brian
Let us know what you see in the future.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:12 PM

Pyrkal in Athens is not known to have loaded AP. Ball and Tracer yes. AP, no. About say 2007, I ordered a 4x192+clips crate. HXP '67. 3 of the cans matched the crate. The 4th was a TW AP M2 spam can from the 50's. I concluded that the Greeks salted AP in their crates in some quantity. This was before the CMP started inspecting every crate, and I told no one, not wanting to spoil the party. Others did find interesting things in those crates and couldn't keep quiet about it. Those were good days.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:32 AM

Just got back from the range . . edlmann was correct in his assumption that the plate was not up to spec. This was my oldest plate and it had developed some cracks where the carriage bolts go through it for mounting on the 2X4. I had it out all winter getting repaired (welded) and got it back in April. We've been clanking it for the last 3 months without a hitch, but we were shooting it in the middle of the plate, not near the carriage bolts as they are expensive to replace (5 bucks a pop, hardened steel.)

Today I loaded the 16 rounds of '63 HXP Lot #1010 that I had left and shot this plate in the center with zero damage. I then loaded 8 rounds of PPU and this time I aimed around the area of the carriage bolts, trying my best not to hit one. 7 rounds that hit in the area caused no harm. I was however able to get one to whiz right through it near the other hole.

Apparently during the welding process the heat changed the temper of the steel in that area. 90% of the plate is still good to go but the area around the bolts is soft. Anyway to make a very long story short . . rounds good - plate bad.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Brian

Oh . . one more thing . . just ordered a 4'X6' all cotton Betsy Ross flag with sewn stars, made in the USA. My first one wasn't big enough . . eat that Nike!
Old 07-23-2019, 10:50 AM

Here is a pic of a HXP round result on 3/8" plate. And also what the spent round looks like.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:33 PM

Dave,

Nice pics . . was this an AR500 rated plate or was it shot at close range? I couldn't recover my rounds . .

Brian
Old 07-24-2019, 04:10 PM

I don't know how hard the plate was. It was shot from 100 yards from an M1. The jacket was found in front of the steel plate the lead passed on thru the hole.

Last edited by Dave Stitz; 07-24-2019 at 04:12 PM.