Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2019, 04:34 PM

Default Military Brass Shotgun Shells

I was curious if anyone has any knowledge/experience with the old 12 gauge brass shotgun shells. What smokeless powder did the military use in these?
Old 07-19-2019, 08:11 PM

Check online for a copy of War Dept. Technical Manual #TM9-1990 "Small Arms Ammunition" dated 1947. Although it doesn't name a particular brand of powder, it does discuss smokeless powder to some degree as it relates to shotgun ammunition. It also shows that the late-war M19 brass shell used a 26 grain dense smokeless powder.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:12 PM

Nothing special or unique to the shotshell powder in brass case buckshot. Different powders could be used if velocity was met within pressure limits.

The unique thing in brass shell loading would be the wads. Thinner brass shells use a larger diameter wad column.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:14 PM

Factory ammunition did not normally use ''canister-grade'' powders available to handloaders.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
Factory ammunition did not normally use ''canister-grade'' powders available to handloaders.
And this is why Army Ammunition Data Sheets ARE NOT reloading data and do not reflect the actual powder charge in US military cartridges.

Powder types are often changed and amounts are adjusted as needed to meet spec. In “the sheets” all powder weights are in even grains (52.0). That alone tells you is isn’t a true load amount to meet velocity/pressures requirements.

The amounts in data sheets are just there for ordnance trainees to memorize for promotion boards, harrasment by superiors, etc.

Last edited by Ammolab; 07-21-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverplate View Post
Check online for a copy of War Dept. Technical Manual #TM9-1990 "Small Arms Ammunition" dated 1947. Although it doesn't name a particular brand of powder, it does discuss smokeless powder to some degree as it relates to shotgun ammunition. It also shows that the late-war M19 brass shell used a 26 grain dense smokeless powder.
I have a Small Arms TM 43-0001-27 that discusses brass shotgun shells just doesn’t list the powder used. Just says smokeless.

Please note to everyone I do not re-load shotgun shells. I was just curious if anyone knew the brand of powder used in these.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtbaker1989 View Post
I have a Small Arms TM 43-0001-27 that discusses brass shotgun shells just doesn’t list the powder used. Just says smokeless.

Please note to everyone I do not re-load shotgun shells. I was just curious if anyone knew the brand of powder used in these.
Not one single brand...a smokeless shotgun powder to meet velocity and pressure requirements.... could vary lot by lot, year by year, contract maker by contract maker.

There is no single brand used.