Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2019, 07:27 AM

The only WW2 tracer on Midway's page is the Remington with striped label. The lot number on the Remington box dates it to early 1942 production. Everything else is post-war production. If I didn't already have a box, I'd seriously consider buying that one.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayCreekRng View Post
Anyone know if tracers are listed on a corrosive list somewhere?
Old 08-18-2019, 10:48 PM

So I picked up a couple of boxes for nostalgia sake. I do not see any of the the lot #'s I received on the chart that was so kindly provided by JMM and Edlmann.

Would that be because they are later post WWII or is it that the chart is only the first lots made and anything thereafter is considered non-corrosive as well?

I can only verify headstamps from one of the boxes as the rest are closed OEM packaging. Lot #'s are as follows:

WCC-6148 and 6149
RA-5369 - Headstamp RA 57
SL-72419 - I think, hard to read?
TW-18387

Midway site says non-corrosive, but it sure would be nice to verify. Even if I wont be shooting them. Well.......maybe one box if NC for sure!

Appreciate any and all insight as always.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:02 AM

The chart lists starting lot number and date of first manufacture. The lot numbers on your boxes fall after the first number on the chart so they would all be non-corrosive.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverplate View Post
The chart lists starting lot number and date of first manufacture. The lot numbers on your boxes fall after the first number on the chart so they would all be non-corrosive.
Thanks for the reply and confirmation as I am sure that JMM and Edlmann will concur. Now maybe I will shoot more than one box to see what we can see from these tracers.....lol.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:57 PM

Don't have high expectations. The tracer compound degrades over time.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:34 PM

I ordered some of this just for kicks. I purchased one box of the Winchester production ammunition that was priced at $1.25/round. The box wasn't the prettiest, but the rounds inside are clean, shiny, and have nice orange tips.

I also ordered two of the clips of tracer ammo. The ammunition in those was ROUGH. Lots of dents in the shells, the orange tips were very faded and in some cases hard to really tell that there was ever orange at all. One of the rounds wasn't a tracer round but actually a 1942 FA Armor Piercing round...

With the exception of the one 1942 AP round that slipped in, all of the rounds were 1956 production. I was a little disappointed because the ad says the rounds are all from the WW2 'era'. In hindsight I guess there's a lot of leeway when you say 'era' but I was initially disappointed when I opened the box. If you decide to order some of these I'd recommend staying away from the clips and sticking to the boxes.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:57 PM

The clips are now sold out but I was wondering are the clips surplus or new production? I was initially interested in the ammo on clips but ended up going for the boxes since I only had to buy 2 boxes to get free shipping. I wonder if the ammo on clips was repacked from ammo thatís boxes were too far gone. I bought a box of Remington and Winchester. The Winchester box was completely wrapped in tape which was a bit disappointing, but the ammo looks good.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 PM

The clips I received were surplus marked BRW 1 and BRW 6. I think I see old machine gun belt marks on some of the rounds. Interestingly, over half of the primers on the clipped rounds are lightly struck.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:23 PM

I took a chance and ordered two boxes. I recieved a WCC lot 6148 box that is in great condition and is unopened, it only has a few slight tears along the top of the label from years of being handled. I also recieved a Remington Arms lot RA 5369 that is neatly taped shut, the box is in good condition. Overall, very happy with how my luck turned out.

Edit: decided to untape the Remington box and pick the best 8 rounds out for display in an enbloc. All headstamps read RA57 and all rounds are in excellent condition.

Last edited by IndianaRailroader; 08-23-2019 at 01:46 PM.