Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2015, 10:31 AM

Default New Massachusette Member

Hello...

I received my service grade M1 from CMP about a month ago...it's a SA, manufactured in early May, 1945. I must say that the seven week wait after submitting paperwork was much like anticipating the birth of a first child...much reading and learning about the Garand while wondering who the manufacturer would be and date made...knowing I would love it no matter what. I've made several trips to the range...have it pretty much sighted in and all works great.

I'm 70 years old and took up shooting recently. I was drafted into the Army in '68,,,did a year in VN but hadn't touched a fire arm since 1970.
My grandfather left me his gun collection (several rifles and hand guns most pre 1900). I decided it might be fun to fire them...I've been a enthuiest ever since.
I'm looking forward to asking questions and learning from this site.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:18 PM

Hey nice a local M1 fan. I think we may be the only two people on here from Massachusetts lol.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:52 PM

Hello and welcome. Don't forget to post pictures. Funny there isn't more of you Massachusetts guys. That's like M1 Graceland up there. Lots of knowledge on this forum. Great guys too.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Garand...your first I assume.
Thanks for your prior service...my dad served two tours over there in '69 and '70.
Would be interested to see pics of the collection you inherited...if you need assistance posting photos, please let me know.

Regards,
Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 08-29-2015, 01:50 PM

Thanks, Rob. I do plan to post pictures. I'm a little technicly challanged...one of my kids has promised to come over and help set me up.

It is my first Garand...I absolutely love it...

Best,
Bruce
Old 08-29-2015, 03:48 PM

There are more Ma folks here than one might think....so welcome and enjoy.
Even though the M1 was manufactured by 2 companies in ma I don't believe they are as common now as they used to be. Maybe the Kenedy generation was into them more?
The average turn out for CMP garand shoots/clinics/matches is very low on average in the 3 area clubs around me that I know have them. I tend to represent the youth attending these shoots......at 44 years old.
I know at least 10 MA cmp forum members here.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:05 AM

Come on down to old colony in pembroke on the 13th for cmp M1 clinic and match.
Good fun day of shooting....
Hanson has a cmp fun shoot 1st sat and 3Sunday. Laid back not a formal match.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:18 PM

Thanks much for the information...I just checked out the schedule at Old Colony and Hanson...will try to attend one of them.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdcliff View Post
Thanks much for the information...I just checked out the schedule at Old Colony and Hanson...will try to attend one of them.
I will be at old colony on the 13th here's the clinic flyer. Price is up to 45$ now if you need ammo. Pembrokes club guns are very nice if needed for any friends you bring along.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_e...9nRHpkclk/view

Hanson has a cmp shoot. Pretty much any milsurp heck any rifle for that matter will do. Laid back. You can shoot positions , from the bench what ever.
They run 1st sat 8am for set up. Shooting starts at 9am
3rd Sunday 12pm shooting starts at 1pm. Only requirement and rules are safety....
Both have great people to deal with.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:31 AM

Location: Currently reside in Millbury. Formerly from Springfield 20 minute walk to the Armory.
Thumbs up Hi from MA

Hi there another one of us in MA. Got my "new" SG on July 15. 6weeks from mail in to receiving. It's an April '43 with new wood and a 54barrel. MW 0+, TE 1+, hardly ever shot after her post Korea rebuild. I am waiting on my buddybtonget back from vacation( nice being retired) so we can take both of ours out to the long gun range. It is fine enough to class as excellent. It would have passed my gunnys inspection right out of the box. Asked for SA cuz dad worked there until it closed, and I carried SA. Thanks CMP great pick.