Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:04 AM

Hopefully the option to turn sig files & avatars OFF will be provided, if they go that way. Not interested in slowing down an already-slow connection with pics of fat wannabes on their Harleys.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:11 AM

No need for avatars or pictures to make people feel special. Keep this the way it is. Too much pandering to everybody today anyway.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:16 PM

Loading of avatars is rarely an issue of the user PC performance. It is almost always the server load that is the issue. Every forum that I've seen that is slow, when I've root caused it, its been the forum server is overloaded, or some ad server they are pulling data from for embedded ads is overloaded, thus, making their response times painful.

Storage of images in a database takes space. LOTS of space compared to plain old text.

And then you have querying of those pictures for every post. It takes cycles to query for the pictures related to each profile.

And then you have serving of the pictures. It takes a lot of bandwidth on the server end to deliver avatars to your web cache compared to plain old text.

In short, the money involved to do all that is better served to their mission statement.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
Gotcha. Modding is really pretty dang easy. 95% of it is moving and closing threads. The other 5% is responding to reported issues. I've done it multiple times on other sites. Extra work yes, but it can be rewarding.
There are 8,600 active members on here, 120k in total. Who is going to review each avatar for potential issues? Who is going to review them when someone inevitably changes theirs? This is effectively a goverment related website. We're lucky it exists in any form. It's not a commercial website like Gunboards or AR15.com where it doesn't really matter what people post. If people post or display questionable stuff here and the mods don't police it it's very easy for an anti gun group to screenshot that and say CMP hasn't taken it down so they must approve of XYZ. That's why political talk is verboten. They don't want pot stirring and I can't blame them. A stroke of the pen could put them out of business. I'm not sure why grown adults need pictures to post things but to me the downside far outweighs the up.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:32 PM

I get what you're saying. No one reviews every avatar. People police themselves and when something questionable pops up, a mod either catches it or someone reports them. Going off your statement about anti gun people taking screenshots, The same argument can be applied to peoples posts. Some anti gun person can come on here and read a random post and potentially use it against someone. Do mods read every post? No. They rely on the members to report it so it can get taken down. Or they come upon it on pure luck.

As far as ar15.com goes it actually matters a lot what people post over there. It's not the wild west (although some people may think it is) and we delete/lock a lot of threads.

Again it was just an thought, didn't know if it was an option or not. Like I said before to me it's easier to remember someone's avatar than it is their name.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Again it was just an thought, didn't know if it was an option or not. Like I said before to me it's easier to remember someone's avatar than it is their name.
I'm sure it's an option. We had them. The avatars were intentionally removed by CMP long ago. I wouldn't expect anything short of the second coming of Christ to reverse that decision
Old 04-17-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Like I said before to me it's easier to remember someone's avatar than it is their name.
The CMP forums are pretty small. After you spend some time here you may find it isn't that hard to remember the main characters.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:13 PM

Why would anyone want a picture of one of them blue aliens from the planet of Pandora As a way to be adentified?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:15 PM

By the way, everybody knows Larry!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I get what you're saying. No one reviews every avatar. People police themselves and when something questionable pops up, a mod either catches it or someone reports them. Going off your statement about anti gun people taking screenshots, The same argument can be applied to peoples posts. Some anti gun person can come on here and read a random post and potentially use it against someone. Do mods read every post? No. They rely on the members to report it so it can get taken down. Or they come upon it on pure luck.

As far as ar15.com goes it actually matters a lot what people post over there. It's not the wild west (although some people may think it is) and we delete/lock a lot of threads.

I don't think this is a good idea.......... We don't need avatars.

The CMP relies on the govt as a source of supply. In the past it WAS part of the Govt. This forum almost got closed down over a hissy-fit about a sale here. For the CMP it is a neutral to lose and some controversy over a #$%^ avatar would shut it down.
There is a reason Mr. Johnson rarely if ever posts here..........

The Mods have enough to do here and I don't want the CMP distracted by this forum...........

Why do you feel the need to "remember" anyone?
You'll get a feel for the knowledgeable ones and the PITA's.
Their moniker is enough..........

Or in another way: Whats the difference between you "remembering me" by a picture of my dog or the "German guy from Denver?"
....................nothing....................... ....

Last edited by Gewehr43; 04-18-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Closed Thread