Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2017, 11:45 PM

Hi Fellows,

I have recovered two drill rifles. Both shoot very well!

I bought (2) new old stock(correct to the rifle) bolts.The cost is not much as you know! I did try to grind & drill out the welded bolt hole anyway. The stainless steel weld made the bolt face VERY hard.
On one bolt, the face of the bolt chipped out badly. As I tried to drill through the cleared flush weld from the back!
I did not think using the welded bolt's were worth the definite high pressure safety risk.

Good Luck,
broom
Old 12-13-2017, 08:56 AM

My drill rifle from Dupages arrived a couple of days ago and the welds are just as described. The cutoff wasn't bad at all but the barrel removal is turning into a real chore. I still can't get it off. The stock is in wonderful shape with all the proper cartouches and I'm ordering a bolt body. If nothing else the rifle is worth it in parts alone.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:52 AM

NIW bolts are very inexpensive. Recovered bolts often develop stellate cracks around the firing pin hole. I remove the drill barrels by first making a 360 degree relief cut (very close to the receiver face) with a cut off saw, place the receiver in a good (big) bench vise, use two pipe wrenches across from each other on the barrel, one quick snap and the barrel comes off. Use a flat file to clean up the receiver and you are done. Never needed my lathe. Good Shooting. ...
Old 12-13-2017, 12:00 PM

I appreciate the input on barrel removal. While I have made a deep cut at the spot weld, the action continues to turn in my bench vise no matter how tight I close the jaws. i'll just keep trying. I'm thinking my bench vise is just too small.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:05 PM

You must make the relief cut 360 degrees and very close to the receiver face. Use cardboard or a thin wood pad for the big flat on the bottom of the receiver and a lead or hardwood block for the top. The vise must be tight. Good Shooting. ...
Old 12-13-2017, 12:53 PM

With a relief cut the barrel comes off pretty easy.
When placing the barrel in a vise, make sure the barrel is in the center of the jaws. I rotated my vise about 60 degrees counter clockwise and placed the barrel in the center of the jaws with the mid part of the barre resting up against the vise. The barrel come off without much force.
If you don't have a mill or lathe then use a safety file to remove the weld as much as possible without getting into the receiver face.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy1a View Post
My drill rifle from Dupages arrived a couple of days ago and the welds are just as described. The cutoff wasn't bad at all but the barrel removal is turning into a real chore. I still can't get it off. The stock is in wonderful shape with all the proper cartouches and I'm ordering a bolt body. If nothing else the rifle is worth it in parts alone.
Been fighting the urge to order one, you have any pictures?

Josh
Old 12-13-2017, 01:11 PM

lemonhead's pictures are pretty close to actual welds used. My spot welds weren't quite as heavy, but in the same spot. You WILL need a replacement bolt body and firing pin tip, which can be bought fairly cheaply. I also purchased a cut-off since I cut mine when removing it. Also very cheap to buy. The rifle stock was very good and front blade perfect. I purchased mine just to see if I could restore it to operating conditions.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:33 PM

I picked up a drill 03 from Liberty Tree Collectors earlier this year. It was a bit rougher than what I've seen the Dupage ones. I got it back into firing condition, found some NOS parts, got a correct date NOS barrel for it as well. Fun project, first time I reamed a barrel so it was a learning project.

Josh
Old 12-13-2017, 06:09 PM

I got mine from Dupage the other day, a Remington. Unfortunately my cutoff weld was up in the corner similar to the “worst” picture on the Dupage site but much smaller weld. Not too bad but it affected the ejector screw and am strggling with that. Came with a scant stock with AAG markings, but that is it. Kind of rough shape. Not complaining, just stating facts. For $200, you sometimes get what you pay for. My Dremmel tool went belly up so a new one will here tomorrow so the cutting begins this weekend.

Not doubting the experience of those that have done this already, but what does the relief cut buy you in the barrel removal?