Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:46 PM

It appears mine has a replacement trigger, mag release button, barrel and barrel bushing last rebuild without total disassembly which I’ll never do or replace the parts. I consider this the “final issue” and it will remain “as is”. Wish it could tell the tales of where it’s been, Europe or the Pacific in WWII, frozen Chosin in Korea, Khe San, guard duty stateside, MPs.....
Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 PM

If I recall from the thread that was deleted, the OP was disappointed in the serial number and other wording that was so heavily sandblasted as to be minimum readable even under the best possible conditions. Several of my friends who are police officers looked at the OP's photo's and stated that they have seen weapons confiscated because of almost illegible numbers such as this.
If I were to receive a weapon with ID #s etc almost unreadable I would not be happy.
And no, offering a refund would not cut it, as it should not have been shipped out in the 1st place, no matter the grade. A replacement weapon should be sent out upon the return of the original, and the original needs to be used for parts.
Condition is not just reserved to physical finish that pleases the eye or allows a mechanical device to function safely.
It must also include items which make it lawful to possess, such as a readable serial number in this case.

Last edited by wizzer; 12-08-2018 at 10:15 PM. Reason: cannot spell/add content
Old 12-08-2018, 10:13 PM

Sorry Tony, I can only offer a refund. We will not ship any pistol where the serial number can not be read. If the armorers have a question they bring it to me. If my old eyes can not read the serial number then it is stripped of parts and put it scrap box. If I can read the number it is put in whatever box it is graded as. The serial number is the only markings that must be readable.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:21 PM

Is it true that CMP 1911 staff will be in the "Sackcloth and Ashes" mode because of the problems some have with descriptions and/or condition, and even the offer of refunds but NOT exchanges? No # for me yet, but I plan to get a pistol and be happy regardless..CMP was clear, refunds but no exchanges. If that were the case, I want to trade my whatever...for a US&S or matched Colt.
** "Sackcloth and ashes were used in Old Testament times as a symbol of debasement, mourning, and/or repentance. Someone wanting to show his repentant heart would often wear sackcloth, sit in ashes, and put ashes on top of his head. Sackcloth was a coarse material usually made of black goat’s hair, making it quite uncomfortable to wear. The ashes signified desolation and ruin."
***On the other hand, maybe the ashes will be for unhappy recipients?

Last edited by BobJ50; 12-08-2018 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Rethought the post.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:29 PM

I'm a buyer if anybody wants to sell.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:58 PM

Wizzer. No need to recall a deleted thread since Kraakens photos are still available under other threads he posted. Itís just not true that the serial number is illegible or even close to it. It is plainly readable. If that gun was confiscated by a police officer (who apparently had no idea what he/she is doing) it should not be difficult to get back. Sorry but the hyperbole deserves a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzer View Post
If I recall from the thread that was deleted, the OP was disappointed in the serial number and other wording that was so heavily sandblasted as to be minimum readable even under the best possible conditions. Several of my friends who are police officers looked at the OP's photo's and stated that they have seen weapons confiscated because of almost illegible numbers such as this.
If I were to receive a weapon with ID #s etc almost unreadable I would not be happy.
And no, offering a refund would not cut it, as it should not have been shipped out in the 1st place, no matter the grade. A replacement weapon should be sent out upon the return of the original, and the original needs to be used for parts.
Condition is not just reserved to physical finish that pleases the eye or allows a mechanical device to function safely.
It must also include items which make it lawful to possess, such as a readable serial number in this case.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cea1 View Post
Wizzer. No need to recall a deleted thread since Kraakens photos are still available under other threads he posted. Itís just not true that the serial number is illegible or even close to it. It is plainly readable. If that gun was confiscated by a police officer (who apparently had no idea what he/she is doing) it should not be difficult to get back. Sorry but the hyperbole deserves a response.
What is the serial number? It looks like the first digit is a 1 and the last 2 are probably 57, but in between I would just be guessing.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCMP View Post
What is the serial number? It looks like the first digit is a 1 and the last 2 are probably 57, but in between I would just be guessing.

Photos can fool the eyes but looking at it, No 162X657. Can't make out the 4th number clearly from the picture but it also looks like a 1.
Now as for one that is hard to read, check a Colt Camo Companion sometime. Mine is new and unused and the number is very hard to see. Take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st_kWv9XGI0 at 30 seconds in. It shows the right side where the serial number is and on his, you can't really see it either.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:21 AM

Just a thought, but, wasn't the serial number recorded on the crate it came in as well as on the box it was stored in? And what about the FFL dealer being able to read the serial number to list it on the 4473 form when it was registered when picked up?

Last edited by investigator187; 12-09-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:25 AM

The COA and the invoice have the serial number on them. I suppose if the FFL doesn't agree that the number on the frame matches the paperwork then the FFL can return it.

If a light is held at the proper angle then numbers are readable.
Closed Thread