Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2019, 03:57 PM

Default Serial stamped in bolt "knob"

I'm a bit of a newbie at 1903s. I have purchased a Remington what I believe to be "modified". I have found a wealth of information about it via NRA and CMP internet information, but there is one thing I just can't figure out. The bolt "knob" on the handle of the bolt has the last 4 of the serial number stamped into it. I'm beginning to think that maybe this was something done by a one-time owner of the rifle since I can't locate anything that mentions this type of thing.

Does anyone know anything about this? The bolt has all of the correct stamping for a Remington bolt. The R being stamped in two different places and an inspection stamp (I assume) of a box with a 7 in it.

Thanks,
Grinch
Old 01-20-2019, 05:17 PM

I've seen that on many of the Greek-return 1903s sold by the CMP. They also marked them with an electro-pencil. I have a loose bolt I purchased with both (one number stamped on top flat and a different number E-P'ed on side of handle).
Old 01-20-2019, 05:38 PM

Just recently won a low number NRA sales rifle bolt is wrong according to JB and stamped with these numbers that don't match the serial number?????? I believe this rifle was here long before the Greek returns.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:58 PM

The Greek returns were usually etched on the bolt handle "flat" with the last four rifle numbers, not the knob.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:44 PM

So nice to see someone else with the same thing. That is exactly how mine looks as well.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:18 PM

Some CMP Greek rifles had bolts with knobs numbered in that fashion. I saw scores, if not hundreds of them at the CMP. Whether the Greeks did it is debatable. But I can say with assurance that the U.S. didn't do it. So it was done in a foreign country who had possession of the rifles.

J.B.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:08 PM

assuming my 03 is possibly a sales rifle as you said JB then it never would have left the US. True? Maybe the bolt was taken from an export and used in my rifle for headspace or safety purposes
Old 01-20-2019, 09:17 PM

the numbers don't match anyway

Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadsal View Post
assuming my 03 is possibly a sales rifle as you said JB then it never would have left the US. True? Maybe the bolt was taken from an export and used in my rifle for headspace or safety purposes
Your explanation is entirely reasonable, especially since the numbers don't match.

J.B.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:04 AM

Thanks JB and I apologize to the OP for hijacking his thread!