Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 10:03 AM

Springfield Armory and Rock Island Armory are basically the same family owned company and are out of of Illinois. I think the company is located in part of the old Rock Island Armory grounds. Yes they have been making copies of the USGI weapons or importing them for quite awhile now and have an over all good reputation.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:53 AM

So, bottom line....if a person stumbled across a Springfield Armory M1 Carbine for a good price, it should be a worthy purchase? It's NOT a collectable USGI weapon, but should be a good shooter? Now I want one.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM

FWIW ... I came across 3 Springfield Armory M1 Carbine receivers a few years ago at the Louisville Gun Show and bought them for $100 each. I built myself a 'complete' SA rifle with one, and put a small 4X scope on it for something different (yes, I have the SA rear sight). Another I built into a rifle for my friend, and the third I sold. It's getting harder and harder to get all SA parts for a carbine, but it's a fun experience to build one with all the SA parts on it. Collectible? Nah, not unless you find someone who wants one. Reliable and fun to shoot? Yep, just as reliable as my USGI's, but that's more up to the guy who builds the rifle up. All 3 receivers serial numbers started with 'C', then followed by 05XX. If you find one for less than the "new" Auto Ordnance M1's, you may want to consider buying it, depending on the condition of the rifle overall. Hope this helps ...
Old 12-31-2009, 09:41 PM

The commercial Springfield Armory was a company started in the 1960's in Devine, TX by Elmer Balance who created the now familiar M1A. Balance was set up and busted in a sting by BATF and his wife & lawyer got control of the company and sold it to the folks who own it now. The current owners have made a lot of money and pushed the M1A to what it is now but Balance is the guy who started it all.