Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 10:39 PM

Default Question on NPM wood

I just finished reading the write-up on National Postal Meters in Bruce Canfield's Complete Book of the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine. In it he stated that all original NPM stocks were High-Wood. Mine has a Birch Louisville Slugger(HI) on it. I know it's not correct, it's an Inland stock, potbelly, M2.

Reason I'm asking is that I've found some mistakes in the Garand section of his book and want to know if the High-Wood Stock cite is correct.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:25 PM

NPM used about 40,000 type 1 stocks known as I cut oiler slot high wood stock. They then switched over to the type 2 stock high wood with oval cut oiler slot till early in 1944 and then switched over to the type 3 stock low wood oval oiler slot.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Thanks Tuna, another mistake in this book! Canfield claims they never used anything but High-wood M1 stocks.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:38 PM

Correct markings for NPM stocks would be "TN" for Trimble Nursery & Furiture Co., Rochester New York/ Riesch p. 109. P. 136 NPM could be marked OI or TN for Type 1 handguards and TN for Type II. Harrison, p. 210 shows "OI" NPM handguards, 2 reivet, deep sighting groove/1000 to NPM after Dec. 1943. OI was mark used by S.E. Overton for handguards to Inland and subsequently to NPM.