Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 12:46 AM

Default New to me Rack Grade Inland

Received my rack grade inland today. This is my first carbine.

It is serial number 92588X. The barrel is Inland 10-43.

The receiver has an SG stamped on the left side. The bolt is Rock Ola. I can't find any marking on the operating rod to know what it is. What else should I be looking for?

I also don't know anything about the stock... where should I look for markings on it? I can't decide whether I should work on it with Minwax Refinisher until I know whether or not it is historically significant.

I assume the barrel and receiver are a matching original pair?

Here are some pics:
From M1 Carbine

From M1 Carbine

From M1 Carbine
Old 01-01-2010, 02:18 AM

Look for something stamped in the slingwell on the left side. All of the original mamufacturers marked their stocks there and put an acceptance mark on the right side of the stock. Slide may be marked on the inside. Most of the other parts, except springs, slide guide pin and other miscellaneous small pieces are marked. The stock does not appear to be a "pot belly" so it is probably an original WW2 issue stock. I would look at it real hard for markings of some type and be gentle when cleaning it.

Serial number is low enough to match the date on the barrel.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:30 AM

Look like the stock that came with my IBM racker. Peeling ugly varnish. I stripped mine with Citristrip and found that the stamps were still intact underneath. Look for an ordnance wheel stamp on the right side behind the receiver. Just don't use sandpaper.

If you need help field stripping your carbine, this sight has instructions with photos.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/m1carbin...mbly/index.asp

Last edited by TRICKSTER; 01-01-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:09 PM

Minwax antique furniture refinisher with 0000 steel wool will remove that varnish easily and wont damage the wood or cartouches. You will be surprised what will come out from under all that crud. After clean up apply 3-5 coats of tung oil or BLO. That Carbine will look amazingly well with a little work.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:53 PM

Cool- Now that is what I expect my RG to look like!!!!
Good for you!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:43 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I started with the furniture refinisher on the handguard this afternoon. You guys were right, it looks amazing once all that grime is off of there. I will post pics once the whole thing is done.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 PM

Ok, I worked on the slingwell on the stock a little and I see either an IO or an IC. What does this mean?

Also on the left side of the stock about where the receiver is, there is an AAG or AAC stamped?
Old 01-01-2010, 08:30 PM

The slingwell stamping is actually OI, Overton for Inland.

The AA in your rebuild stamp is Augusta Arsenal and the last letter is the inspector's initial.

All human situations have their inconveniences. We feel those of the present but neither see nor feel those of the future; and hence we often make troublesome changes without amendment, and frequently for the worse.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)