Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 05:39 PM

Default Inland stock question

I received a SG NPM last month. It came with a cut I cut Inland stock with .U. rebuild mark on the left, IO and ordnance ball in the well and Inland cartouch on the right side. My question is: on the bottom flat of the pistol grip is a P in a circle, is this a standard proof from Inland? It is not in the front of the pistol grip like a Garand would be but on the flat portion.
Thanks
Dave
Old 01-01-2010, 06:15 PM

Riesch p. 120,123 states: "... The following contractors stamped a 0.50 inch circled "P" proof (sans serif) into the bottom of the pistol grip. Inland Division: Intermittent throughout production....." p.178 "When the caqrbine was accepted for reissue, the initials of the arsenal where it was rebuilt were stamped into the stock,...... When required arsenals stamped a "P" for the proof on the forward part of the pistol grip behind the trigger guard.......Some "P" proofs were in a circle...."
Old 01-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Default Thanks!

I've never had any Inlands. It seems that this stock was proofed by Inland, rebuild by Underwood and not proofed again.
Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Dave, don't feel lonely. I recently got a SG NPM, that's almost correct except for the late mods...and the Louisville Slugger in Birch-like wood it's wearing.