Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 PM

Default Garands with National Match Barrels.

Hello all. I was curious if a NM marked 77 barrel can be used in the Garand matches. I just got one.
--UUU---(iii)---UUU--
Old 09-19-2012, 05:02 PM

I think they just cleared the NM barreled Garands to be used in the Garand matchedes long as you don't have NM sights. Experts please chime in.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:05 PM

Not an experienced match shooter here, but I never got the impression that a NM barrel was considerably more accurate than an above average standard issue barrel. The prep work and accurizing of the entire gun is what makes the NM rifles shoot better. The barrel is just a small piece of a larger puzzle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't have much experience with NM barrels or guns, but the one I have (NM barrel) doesn't really distinguish itself from a good LMR, VAR, HRA, '60s SA, or even a low gauging WW2 SA barrel.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:16 PM

I should have been more specific. This is a 1963 type II barrel on the rifle I just picked up. According to what I read, they air gauged them and checked them for accuracy. According to Duff, NM barrels were selected based on whether they "met or exceeded" air gauge requirements. Oddly enough, I do have one of each of the barrels you mentioned on various rifles. The VAR out shoots them all, but I haven't checked the national match yet. I bought the Dane this spring at the CMP. It is also loaded with Beretta parts and sports Springfield Type II lockbars.
--UUU---(iii)---UUU--
Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 PM

yes

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 09-19-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post
Not an experienced match shooter here, but I never got the impression that a NM barrel was considerably more accurate than an above average standard issue barrel. The prep work and accurizing of the entire gun is what makes the NM rifles shoot better. The barrel is just a small piece of a larger puzzle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't have much experience with NM barrels or guns, but the one I have (NM barrel) doesn't really distinguish itself from a good LMR, VAR, HRA, '60s SA, or even a low gauging WW2 SA barrel.
Still boils down to the nut behind the bolt. The NM BBL rifle I bought at the Matches this year shoots great but you are right in the belief that everything else that goes into a NM rifle is what makes the package. Look at the unlimited scores from this year. It is still mostly the shooter at 100 and 200 yds. Ive been soundly whooped by a guy who had a rifle with a TE of 8-9...You know who you are..Godfather

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 09-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Banned

Yes, the one squeezing the trigger is the main point of accuracy! Fundamentals my friends!

V/R
Sgt Rock