Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2015, 08:12 PM

Default My 1911s - sort of

I have 2;
First is a Systema Colt 1927. Argentina first bought 1911s from Colt, then bought tooling and license built 1911A1s for a few years, this is one. 100% identical to USGI. This one is from the Argentine Air Force (Aeronautica Argentina). All numbered parts match and bore is excellent. I replaced the ugly brown plastic grips and that's about it. It had occasional jams so I had a local retired AMU armorer polish it up, best gunsmith money I ever spent, it has jammed a total of 0 times since. I have shot a few matches with this, it shoots like a dream. I have owned a few other 1911s and this shoots the best of any I have owned. If it had sights I could see it would be even better, maybe I could dovetail it for some truglos?

[IMG]DSC_3878 by MrJHassard, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_3880 by MrJHassard, on Flickr[/IMG]

Next is my Ballester Molina. Argentina decided to "improve" the 1911 and this is it; essentially they changed trigger to a pivoting design, and removed the grip safety. The slide serrations are the easiest clue, the lack of grip safety and the trigger pin (in the A1 grip bevel) are other easy IDs. 1911 magazines still fit, many other parts are slightly different from 1911. Note grip screw spacing is different, that would be too easy.
This was a Century Arms "U-Fixem" for $100 or so about 10-12 years ago. Just had to see what you got for $100. When I opened the box my friends groaned and I was pretty happy to have a "project". All parts present and in good condition, 10% finish remaining (if that), some bonus rust and one cracked grip. I epoxied the grip, buffed the steel with my dremel and cold blued it in the sink; it looked pretty good for $100.00. A few years later I saw a pistol a friend rejuvenated with Brownells Bake On Lacquer so I stripped this down and blasted it per the directions and baked on this paint, it is very durable. Prep and masking were the key (no need to paint rails and other important inside parts; you can see the slide stop where I masked off the shaft, and the barrel bushing when painting, but in hindsight maybe the extra thickness of the paint would help tighten it up a bit! It is not too bad, compared to many old 1911s!). Have not shot it much since, it has always jammed a bit, not being a 1911 aficionado I guess I need to research and see about sorting it. My 1927 shoots so well this has just not been a priority. My AMU armorer friend passed away a few years ago or I'd send it to him. I should carve up a new set of grips as well, something to look a little better than these. I am pushing $140 invested here, I don't know.....
A few years ago some importer was getting these and refinishing them and putting on new grips; they looked OK but I like this better.

[IMG]DSC_3874 by MrJHassard, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_3875 by MrJHassard, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comments welcome!
JH
Old 01-01-2015, 09:37 PM

Per the first pistol......I have no idea as to the collector interest in this gun, but re; "Tru-Glo" sites, keep in mind that it is only original once. The unique right slide marking alone should generate some collector interest........

PJH
Old 01-01-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckinohio View Post
Per the first pistol......I have no idea as to the collector interest in this gun, but re; "Tru-Glo" sites, keep in mind that it is only original once. The unique right slide marking alone should generate some collector interest........

PJH
Just kidding on the truglow on this fine collectible! Probably wouldn't on the Ballester Molina either.....
I have pistols with expensive sights for competitions, and milsurps for collecting (and CAI U-Fixems for parts and practice!).

JH
Old 01-04-2015, 05:58 PM

I got this AO for Christmas. Can I play?
Old 01-05-2015, 11:17 PM

Got this interesting piece from a forum member about 10 years ago....

What $30 dollars used to buy you. All matching 1918 Colt 1911 and a Black Widow BYF41 Luger w/holster & 2 mags..

Old 06-07-2018, 10:09 AM

Default M1911 (and A1) photo thread

Just as the title says.

Iíll start. Here is my 1919 Colt Black Army (611,1xx) M1911. Hopefully the link will work.

https://imgur.com/gallery/EJHQ9Ku

Fortes Fortuna juvat

2nd Bn, 3rd Marines

Buy now worry about later, later.--Bob Moore, 12/10

My feedback thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=dstout 50+ positives before it was destroyed
Old 06-07-2018, 11:01 AM

I posted a pic of this over in the "What Did Your Member of the Greatest Generation do During WWII" thread and I thought I'd post a few more pics.

My gramp served in the 1007th Engineers in the CBI theater and drove trucks on the Burma and Ledo Roads. As my gramp told the story many times when I was a kid....he and his buddies were off-loading a train car and there remained one box on the car that was not on the shipping manifest. They pried it opened and found brand new 1911A1's and each man took one. He carried it for the rest of the war and loved to tell that story and the story of how he got it home. About 10 years ago, just a few before he died, he passed it on to me...a beautiful 1945 Ithaca.

(edit...I noticed a majority of members use external links for images..imgur seems to be the favorite. Is this the favored practice on this forum?)

Old 06-07-2018, 12:11 PM

I don't have a USGI M1911 or 1911A1 yet, but I have several 1911's. Here's a group shot of mine, and another by itself that I recently picked up. The one in the middle of the top row is a 1933 Colt Government Argentine contract pistol.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:06 PM

1945 Remington Rand I picked up a while back

Old 06-08-2018, 06:43 AM

Default an unissued US&S 1911A1 in the box

With the 1911 pistol post up now I wanted to share some photos of a pistol that my friend, PH68 (Tom) owns. He OK’d the post.
Not only is this a beautiful US&S unissued 1911a1 pistol, he has the original packing box, had to replace wax paper, but correct for the box.
Box has original US&S sticker and hand written serial number which is period correct.
He and I both sure would like to get one like this from the CMP release, but I think that’s a dream unless from the "auction”.
So, as an alternative, I am thinking maybe a "fresh" rebuild will do.

Anyhow this pistol is so nice we would really like to share with members. A little daydream material

NOTE:
Better (professional) photos on post #155 that better show the Dulite color of this 45.

NOTE:
Better (professional) photos on post #155 that better show the Dulite color of this 45.

Last edited by rob30-06; 06-13-2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: update