Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2018, 08:24 PM

Default 1898 Krag Carbine - I think I did ok - whatís wrong?

This, along with another carbine hat had been terribly sporterized and drilled and tapped thru the serial number and had modern sights installed - have come my way. A little old lady had them tucked in her closet for a number of years. My friend, my LGS owner had them set aside for me at what he paid. Interestingly enough, the stock on the bad-one has a plate where the saddle ring would go. Too bad someone added a wooden pistol grip to it.... bastards. I can upload pictures of that if folks wanna see it too.... but with the mods, I know it really isnít worth showing.

On to the good one.

My knowledge doesn't go back to this era so I'm looking for some help. Does this rifle here look right? I know there are some fakes out there and want to be sure mines is good to go and has a good spot in my collection. I know that it shouldnít have the swivels.

The Stock cartouche is 1901.
Serial 125626 - which puts it as an 1898 carbine I believe.
There is a crack on the upper hand guard.
I think this is a 1899 stock - is the means itís been rearsenaled?
How bad is it that someone added the swivels?

i only paid $800 for both of them. The other is going over the mantle. Itís been rebarreled at 18Ē and almost looks like the barrel was soldered in... yikes.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:31 PM

I don't think the stock is original to the gun since that serial number would be from 1898. Could maybe be swapped from the butchered one?
Old 10-24-2018, 08:33 PM

It is a good looking piece though, how's the bore?
Old 10-24-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm View Post
It is a good looking piece though, how's the bore?
Rifling looks sharp. Granted I havenít pulled a patch thru yet.

I havenít given it a thourough cleaning yet, but I think it will (hopefully) clean up nice
Old 10-24-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm View Post
I don't think the stock is original to the gun since that serial number would be from 1898. Could maybe be swapped from the butchered one?

Thatís kinda what I was thinking. Could it be a re-aresenal? There is a mark above the ďPĒ proof mark. Not sure if they did rebuild marks like my 03A3 that has OG for Ogden rebuild
Old 10-25-2018, 06:11 AM

Recommend you go over to the Krag Collectors Forum and post your questions. The folks over there are the "fount" of Krag knowledge and can tell you about your carbine. My 1899 carbine was upgraded at SA to the 1901 configuration so it has the long carbine stock, no saddle ring, 1901 rear sight and a 1901 proof. Hornady had new brass for sale a few months ago and I picked up 200 to load up w/ 147gn FMJ's for vintage rifle match shooting.

HTH's ,
Mark

Last edited by SpearheadOrd; 10-25-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putneygeo View Post
Thatís kinda what I was thinking. Could it be a re-aresenal? There is a mark above the ďPĒ proof mark. Not sure if they did rebuild marks like my 03A3 that has OG for Ogden rebuild
I'm not sure how they did re-arsenals, I think I've only ever seen one with an extra inspector's stamp on the stock before. I think the numbers above your proof are just an inspector stamp like you'll find on an Eddystone stock.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:24 AM

After seeing those toes in the first picture it was hard to focus on the rest of the shots of the rifle! My God Man, put some socks and shoes on!

Nice looking rifle. Don't discount the stock. Handguard and sight look correct for a carbine, I doubt someone swapped out the stock.

Let's see the bad one...and no toes!!