Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2017, 09:31 PM
Banned

A buddy just did one this week. The cut off lever wasn't too tough and he was able to save it. He is a machinist so he even saved the bolt. The barrel was cut welded so it was gone. He'll be into it for about $350 after the barrel.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:49 PM

I have recovered a couple. I got two drill rifles this week.
The barrel welds on these ones are a little larger than the ones in the past. That being said the weld is 80% on the barrel. The cutoffs were not to bad.
Both of the rifles had 9-43 barrels. One measured a .5 and the other measured just below .5 at the muzzle.

Here are a few pictures of the welds. I have removed the cutoffs and started cleaning up the welds.

https://imgur.com/a/bniyH

Last edited by lemmonhead; 11-29-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:30 PM

Mine looks identical to lemmonhead's. Same guy must have done them.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:35 PM

Thinking about one of the Dupage 1903 drill rifles, but am curious when it states that a 3 inch steel rod has been welded in the chamber area by drilling a hole in the bottom of the barrel, how is that repaired? Thanks...
Old 11-30-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy1a View Post
Thinking about one of the Dupage 1903 drill rifles, but am curious when it states that a 3 inch steel rod has been welded in the chamber area by drilling a hole in the bottom of the barrel, how is that repaired? Thanks...
Have install a different barrel, no fixing the one that's on there.

Josh
Old 11-30-2017, 12:55 PM

Thanks, I thought that might be the answer.. I'm close enough to the north store that I might take a run up there.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:48 AM

I decided to order one from Dupage just to see if I could recover one. Should be interesting..
Old 12-02-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmonhead View Post
I have recovered a couple. I got two drill rifles this week.
The barrel welds on these ones are a little larger than the ones in the past. That being said the weld is 80% on the barrel. The cutoffs were not to bad.
Both of the rifles had 9-43 barrels. One measured a .5 and the other measured just below .5 at the muzzle.

Here are a few pictures of the welds. I have removed the cutoffs and started cleaning up the welds.

https://imgur.com/a/bniyH
How's that barrel weld working out lemmonhead? Mine is pretty heavy. Planning on sending it out as I have no lathe.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:39 PM

Converting a drill rifle to an operable rifle should be done with consideration as to what welding might have done to the metal of the receiver and also the bolt. Depending on the amount and location of the welds.
I purchased some drill rifles (without stocks) from CMP a few years back. There were welds at the cutoff, bottom of the receiver where the barrel connected, in the barrel under the stock to hold a steel rod placed in the chamber, and on the bolt face. Also, the striker was ground down.

Converting one to an operable rifle involved removing and discarding the barrel and replacing it with a new one, cleaning out the cutoff slot and replacing the cut off and pin which holds it, and discarding the bolt and striker and replacing them with new or serviceable bolt parts which head spaced properly.

While I suppose one might be able to drill out and grind down the weld on a drill rifle bolt, I would suggest not doing this for fear of metal failure in this critical area.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriec View Post
How's that barrel weld working out lemmonhead? Mine is pretty heavy. Planning on sending it out as I have no lathe.
I am waiting on a friend to use his lathe. I am hesitant to start filing down the weld too much as I don't want to dig into the receiver face. I don't have a safety file, I need to invest in one. I have cleaned up the cut off welds already. If you haven't already looked; the RayVin has a good tutorial on drill rifle recovery. http://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/firea...drillrifle.htm

I decided to order a White Oak 1903 barrel. If you call them you may see if there are any discounts. Still more than a Criterion but I am curious as to how this will shoot and hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
While I suppose one might be able to drill out and grind down the weld on a drill rifle bolt, I would suggest not doing this for fear of metal failure in this critical area.
chuckindenver has said that he has tried to grind down the weld on the bolt face and drill a new hole. A couple problems that he said he encountered were the weld bled through the original hole and is very difficult to remove completely so there will be a bur on the backside of the bolt face. Also he said it is difficult to get the hole in the exact correct spot and the correct size. Any oversize of the striker hole will allow the primer to flow back into the hole and could cause problems. In short it is not worth it to mess around with the bolt. Especially when replacement bolts are still plentiful and relatively cheap.

Last edited by lemmonhead; 12-02-2017 at 11:48 PM.