Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2019, 05:17 PM

I ran my serial number through the Army database the other day and it originally posted into the Army on 27 Feb 1999. It got shuffled around Anniston for a while until it got transferred to TACOM’s account and transferred out to the CMP in 2018.

With a rebuild mark of A 7 81, it entered the Army after being rebuilt.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Does the Marine Corps(or other branches) have a similar database that can be searched?
Old 01-15-2019, 05:46 PM

The best I can tell from the picture it’s OA-71
Old 01-15-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Does the Marine Corps(or other branches) have a similar database that can be searched?
Yeah and I even have the contact for it and I've been trying to get in.

Even with some heavy hitters pulling for me, and trying to use the GCA as an incentive for positive press in the journal, I'm not having the best of luck. lol
Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Received a Colt slide, Ithaca 43 frame with rebuild mark A 10 81.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:30 PM

Another ANAD from 1976.

So I think we have them clearly marked ANAD from before, during, and after this "A" rebuild program now.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:29 PM

I have been thinking. ( dangerous. I know ) Could this actually be the Condition Code stamped into it and the date when inspected? If Anniston became the only place where they were being stored or rebuilt for the Army, why would they need a location indicator? If all services started making the change to a uniform system at about that time, even if it was the Navy/Marines doing it all they would need to know was the condition and date of the inspection in case the tag got lost ( if they even bothered to tag them ).
Old 01-18-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Don View Post
I have been thinking. ( dangerous. I know ) Could this actually be the Condition Code stamped into it and the date when inspected? If Anniston became the only place where they were being stored or rebuilt for the Army, why would they need a location indicator? If all services started making the change to a uniform system at about that time, even if it was the Navy/Marines doing it all they would need to know was the condition and date of the inspection in case the tag got lost ( if they even bothered to tag them ).
The only thing is, you always see it mentioned in the docs that condition code was marked on a hang tag. This is from the teens to the 60's that I can track. Mostly just because condition changes.

Now I have nothing as new as 1980ish stating that.

Even though the Marines did have a Condition A code, I think it's unlikely because it would always be marked a condition A pistol then. No matter how much it was used, it would always show condition A.

That is why I think it's unlikely. I'm going to post some pics too. I think the progression of the Marine rebuilds marks on the 1911 pistols sort of makes sense when you see them in order.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:59 PM

cplnorton,
Thanks for all the detective work you've done to learn more about these pistols. That's a pretty good contact you have at the Army, it's cool to see the specific history for these guns. As I posted previously, I have one with the "mystery mark" and appreciate the information you've found and posted.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:08 PM

These were the beginning. The Garand rebuilds that were 0-65 to O-67 were not marked with an A for Albany or B for Barstow. But I've heard the 1969 and 1970 M14 rebuilds were marked with an A or B in addition to O and Year.

Then this is the next stage of rebuild, where it does mark that it was rebuilt at Albany.

Here is one with the previous A-O-71 rebuild mark with the A stamped over it. But I think Albany stopped using a electric etcher and just stamped them and dropped the O for overhaul.

But then Barstow seems to have never dropped the electropencil or the O. There is least an 1976, 1979, and 1983 all done like this. The one OB 83 was done over a O-68.

Last edited by cplnorton; 01-18-2019 at 06:16 PM.