Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2009, 10:55 PM

Default Painted Stock

Luck of the draw on a dutch auction brought me the painted stock with the coveted matching handguard .

Does anyone know which country was likely to add painted numbers to their stocks? I never received one in the regular mail order, so I thought maybe someone who had seen them or received one could make a better educated guess regarding the origin.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 AM

I've seen a few carbines with rack number posted before but don't remember any discussion of country of origin. The preservative on the stock reminds of the condition of my Italian return. Very dark and very hard. It cleaned up well. You might look for markings on the metal. I found a small FAT marking just forward of the receiver on the top side of the barrel.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the info. I was not following the CMP carbines during the time the Italian carbines were released for mail order. This one doesn't have any FAT markings, but it might still be from that group of carbines. The bonus on the stock for me was the sling well marking for HI since I did not have one like it. This photo makes the stock look lighter in color due to the flash. The dark color in the earlier photo is more accurate as it appears to the eye.

Photobucket

Last edited by Flash; 12-30-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:57 AM

Looks like a nice Inland stock for your Inland receiver. So are you planning on leaving the rack numbers on the stock?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:17 PM

Using butt numbers is a pretty common U.S. practice. Its a bit easier way to issue weapons out of the arms room rather than by serial number.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:24 PM

I will probably just let the numbers on the stock for now, but might change my mind later. I think sometimes trying to take them off can make it worse, because the paint doesn't always come up out of the wood. I have seen stocks like that, with shadows of paint in the wood grain. I have also seen some taken off successfully; I guess you don't know if its in the wood until after you try to take it off.

I guess I didn't really think about the U.S. putting the numbers on because everything seems to be returns after use by other countries. I have seen clubs do the same thing to club guns.

The metal including the barrel is in very good condition. The finish wear does show that it probably wore a bayonet for a while, and has another minor thin spot where it might have had repeated contact with a rack. The barrel is Inland July 42. It has a few early parts, but not necessarily early enough for that time frame. I always liked the Inlands, they have a lot of variety because they were in the carbine business for a long time. I wanted to at least get an example of summer of 42 Inland, and the receiver/barrel seem original. I think that is a very long time for a rifle to survive with its original barrel and I am always amazed at the number of CMP guns that seem to be wearing their original barrel.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:39 PM

Flash,
Here is some information on your stock;
This stock was made for Inland by The Hillerich & Bradsby Co. of Louisville,Ky.
I am guessing that it is a type 3 stock which started at serial# 4,900,000 which was prodution date approimatly of June 1944. Very nice stock,should clean up nice.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:40 PM

If it were my carbine, I would not try to remove the stock numbers. They are part of its history. They look old and cool. At best, removing of them would make your carbine look just like any other run-of-the-mill carbine and not a distinctive interesting carbine. At worst, your fears will be correct that you will not be able to totally remove the numbers and you will end up with some fecally-looking stock with ghost numbers. You do not want to remove the numbers and then read in a book five years from now that historians are looking in vain for the carbine Chesty Puller carried which had rack number "40" painted on the stock and handguard.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 PM

I will get it back out and look closer at the stock--I believe it was a high wood that has been cut down.

I believe the bolt is correct with an IO in a circle on the right lug.

It has an early slide with a bevel, part round cut, and V-top, type E169, P I inside with a punch mark, and a partial rectangle with a 1 or line in it on the outside.

The trigger housing is double bevel with horizontal Inland, and a narrow mag well wall, but it doesn't have a flaming bomb on the left.

Serial number is 13588. I think I have a earlier marked slide and trigger housing on other guns, but for now I am just going to leave it alone.

Mike T, I tend to agree. I'll probably just name it "Old Number 40" and leave it there. The matching number on the handguard was also a real novelty item to me, as I never saw that before.

Thanks all for comments.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 PM

That has a lot of character- kinda of a shame to make it all pretty to look like so many others- I think it's good looking as it is-