Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2009, 11:24 PM

My cheap opinion?
The number on the stock appears to have been coated over with several applications of Linseed or Tung oil so might be a fairly old number and hard to get rid of. The number on the handguard looks to be later and therefore is floating on old finishes. In that case, it'll wash right off with DNA or any other cleaner.
If it appears to be a really old number, I'd probably leave it alone because you don't know by who or when it was applied. If it appears to be floating on top of recent finishes I don't think you'd lose anything by making it gently float away.

Just a thought,
Phil
Old 12-31-2009, 02:08 AM

phil441,

Good point about looking at whether the paint is on top of the finish. There is some finish over the number on the handguard, but not as thick as the layers over the stock. While I was looking at that, I noticed that there is yet another smaller number or symbol painted on the side of the stock between the buttplate and the sling well. In the photo you can see a small segment of it near the buttplate, but it actually extends almost to the edge of the slingwell. There are too many layers of finish over it to read it.

My family of carbines doesn't seem to look like some of the other "family portraits" I've seen posted. But I don't have any duplicates, each one seems to be a new adventure .