Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2009, 11:00 PM

Default Winchester Problems.

I purchased my 1.3 Million Winchester Carbine quite some time ago from the CMP. First trip to the range it would fire intermittently, every other trigger pull a misfire. (Only went click with a slight indentation of the primer). Purchased headspace gauges and found bolt would close on a field gauge. Sent rifle back to CMP. CMP replaced bolt and headspace is now fine. (Will not close on NO GO Gauge). Took rifle back to range and encounter same problems. I then looked at every part very carefully. Found trigger spring had only 24 coils. It looked like a 26 coil spring with the last two coils broken off. I sent spring to the CMP and it was immediately replaced. I believed my problems were solved.
I got my order in for a Rockola right before they were sold out and received a beautiful mixmaster Rockola with a Rockola barrel and stock.
Took the Winchester and the Rockola to the range on Monday. The Rockola performed perfectly using Augilla .30 Carbine ammunition with my 15 round USGI magazines and my 30 round Korean magazines. The Rockola's accuracy was the best of any open sighted rifle I own. (I own a lot). My Winchester still has issues. The rifle will always fire the first round chambered and maybe the second through the third, then click or it will jam, the bolt held open because the spent case is lodged between the bolt face and the receiver. The Augilla ammo is filthy and may be the problem but it does not affect my Rockola. Another thread talked about similar problems and implicated the Augilla ammo
I have been reading the Carbine and Garand Forums daily for years but rarely post. I need some help here.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by West Coast; 12-31-2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 PM

I had the same problem (light primer strikes) first time out with my NPM. I had a spring kit and changed them all. Also disassembled the bolt and cleaned it as recommended on this board. That solved that problem. I am now experiencing a problem with new rounds getting hung up before they get chambered. I've been shooting Aquila but will try some S&B this weekend and see if that helps.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:36 AM

Default A couple of things to check

Is there free travel of the gas piston? If it is loose, frozen etc, the carbine will not open fully. The bolt needs to come apart and the holes for the extractor spring cleaned out and the ejector spring looked at. Most of these carbines haven't been taken apart and cleaned for decades. Finally, I'd replace the recoil spring with a new GI or Wolf spring, this will get the carbine shut in full battery and stop these failures to fire. I'd also put some grease on the rails and receiver cuts to help the bolt close.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:09 PM

Gas piston has free travel. I completely disassembled and cleaned all parts prior to firing. All parts have been lightly lubricated and sliding parts lightly greased. I checked the free length of my Winchester and Rockola recoil spring for comparison. My Winchester’s recoil spring measured 10 1/8”. My Rockola’s recoil spring measured 10 3/8”. I have checked to see if the bolt is closed in full battery prior to firing and it always seems to be. I read in another thread about the underpowered Augilla ammo not sealing the case, hence the increased fouling. The chambers of both my Carbines are both heavily fouled. I will try another recoil spring and different ammo next time out.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 12-31-2009, 08:58 PM

I would think after having cleaned the rifle, including taking the bolt apart and getting it spotless with good springs as stated prior posts. The head space on the Winchester or broken firing pin. When the bolt is not closing it is just a very small amount that it is open and most of the time it is caused by a weak recoil spring or defective magazine. The Rock Ola sounds like you need to replace the ejector and maybe the extractor. The ejector will leave the round on top of the magazine, the extractor wear will lift the round up because it does not have a good edge on it to grip the base of the brass well enough to give it a good flip to the right. Could be a combination of both extractor and ejector or dirt.

Emmett
Old 12-31-2009, 09:24 PM

Try switching the recoil spring from the Rockola to the Winchester and see if the longer spring helps out. I always try the simplest things before spending a lot for things you may not need. If you have no problems with the Rock, switch the springs over to the Winchester and see what happens. You can do this by a process of elimination. DO NOT SWITCH THE BOLT without checking headspace in your Winchester before firing and remember that if your gauges are commercial type that does not allow for the firing pin to float into it, check the headspace with the bolt dissassembled.