Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 03:32 PM

Default lever vs. pushbutton safety

I found an Undrwood M-1. The reciever looks much newer that the rest of the parts. I noticed that the safety is a pushbutton, instead of the small lever that I thought was the 'standard'. Sorry for my ignorance, but I've just recently been 'biten' with the m-1 carbine bug.
MJL61
Old 12-31-2009, 03:43 PM

Welcome to the club. Once "bitten," there is no cure but buying more carbines will make you feel better.

The push-button safety is a desirable item for most collectors and all but the very last carbines were manufactured using them. After the war, most carbines were re-built by the military, which is why most of the carbines now are called "mixmasters" because they were reassembled with parts from other makers. During the rebuild was when those nasty flip sights (now worth $150+) and weak Type 1 barrel bands (ditto) were replaced with adjustable sights and Type 3 barrel bands with bayonet mounts.

Once you get a little more familiar with your carbine, you can partially disassemble it and tell us the other maker marks you find. If you are real lucky, your carbine might be mostly Underwood parts. Search through this forum and you will find much more info.

Oh yeah, nobody actually believes you have a carbine until you post photos of it here.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:48 PM

I would like to see pictures the gun and area of the safety.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:49 PM

Pushbutton safety was the original standard which was replaced with the rotating type.

I'm not sure how early in the production / maintenance regimen this change occurred.

It's my understanding the change was made due to the magazine release being pushed by accident when the safety was meant to be pushed in a hasty manner during a stressful situation.

Regards - Al
Old 12-31-2009, 03:50 PM

Default Thanks for the info...another 'obervation'

... the carbine I'm considering looks pretty good, just 'eye-balling' it. I've not had a gunsmith check it out yet (examine bore wear, chech head space), etc. I noticed that the barrel was made by 'Saginaw' . The serial number (Underwood) matches a liting I had found for reference. Anything I need to especially watch out for???
Old 12-31-2009, 03:53 PM

The carbine is located a a 'reputable' gun shop north of ATL. The pushbutton safety IS located in very close proximity to the mag release pushbutton (..which appears larger in dia.). I could see how inadvertently pushing the wrong button could be a probelm... probably not a great ergonomic design.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:15 PM

Here is a pic that shows both the push button and the lever safty.

Photobucket
Old 12-31-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL61 View Post
... the carbine I'm considering looks pretty good, just 'eye-balling' it. I've not had a gunsmith check it out yet (examine bore wear, chech head space), etc. I noticed that the barrel was made by 'Saginaw' . The serial number (Underwood) matches a liting I had found for reference. Anything I need to especially watch out for???
The barrel was changed at some point. Underwood only used their own barrels. The serial number, or most of it will allow us to date it some what better.

Last edited by Peter100; 12-31-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:01 PM

I have a fourth run(SN40902xx)NPM with a J.A.O. flip-type. From what i've been able to glean(No real reference books yet) that's what supposed to be on it. Am I right in this assumption?
Old 12-31-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-7Ret. View Post
I have a fourth run(SN40902xx)NPM with a J.A.O. flip-type. From what i've been able to glean(No real reference books yet) that's what supposed to be on it. Am I right in this assumption?
NPM never used flip safeties