Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 02:48 PM

... Wow, I didn't think I'd cause such confusion. lol.

The different "types" of handguards is what was throwing me off. I was going to pick up an Inland handguard for the stock I have, so when I get myself an Inland carbine, I can give it matching wood (granted it doesn't already have the right stock).

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnikkor View Post
Not to confuse the situation any more, but wouldn't it be more "correct" to say either OI (S.E. Overton Co.) or HI (Hillerich & Bradsby Co.) would be "correct for his carbine" while matching an OI handguard to his OI stock would be "correct for his stock" since they were made by the same company? Not that it made Inland any difference which combination they used when manufacturing these wonderful carbines. Also, were stocks & handguards shipped together as a set or just in big crates of separate components? I kinda assume the latter, but you know what happens when you assume things.

I'm asking more to learn than to debate.

Hope we didn't scare him away from the carbine forum.
Let's put this to bed, huh. Either one is correct....OI or HI. It's your choice. I prefer, on mine, for them to exactly match. They did not ship them to Inland in sets so it just depended upon what the assembler grabbed out of the bin.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf77 View Post
Let's put this to bed, huh. Either one is correct....OI or HI. It's your choice. I prefer, on mine, for them to exactly match. They did not ship them to Inland in sets so it just depended upon what the assembler grabbed out of the bin.
No problem, I was just curious about other people's standards for "correctness." Thank you for answering my question on how they were shipped. I'm like you, wanting my handguards to match my stocks. If the OP is of a similar mindset, he will try to find an OI handguard with a finish that matches as close as possible to his OI stock. Which I believe is what he was asking about in the first place.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:40 PM

Yes, he's asking about a match to the stock, not the Rockola carbine. As already stated, either an OI or an HI stamped handguard would be correct for the OI stock.

Having said that, he didn't state what type the stock is, so we don't know if he needs a 2 rivet or 4 rivet handguard.

All human situations have their inconveniences. We feel those of the present but neither see nor feel those of the future; and hence we often make troublesome changes without amendment, and frequently for the worse.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)
Old 01-01-2010, 09:48 PM

Default Handguards

I have 100+ handguards; Type I, Type II, Type III [2 rivet & 4 rivet] and I sometimes think NONE of them match my stocks. Maybe when I get older and more senile than I already am...it won't matter.