Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 01:51 PM

Default North Store Report 01/05/12 (with rifle pics)

After reading the reports from yesterday's North Store visitors, I thought I'd find some nice rifles if I made the trip up this morning. I was right!

I arrived about 8:45 and there were five or six shoppers in the Store, all perusing the Service Grade racks. There was a full rack (both sides) of HRA SGs, and a mostly full rack of Springfield SGs. About a third of the Springfields had new wood, but the rest of the SG racks were filled with rifles in USGI wood, and this was the best batch in the Store since at least October, maybe even since the Matches. I came home with three rifles, but could have bought the whole year's worth and been very satisfied.

I usually look for good wood first, then good finish, then desirable collector features. I think I scored on all three counts with these rifles. I'm especially happy to find stocks with good figure or tiger striping, so these three were right up my alley.

This 5.6mil HRA has lots of striping:

It also has excellent matching metal and a grenade launcher sight, which I kinda like - it's part of the rifle's history and adds to its appeal.

There were several excellent 4.7mil rifles in the HRA rack, like this one:

There's plenty of striping in that stock, too.

Bob at the counter talked me into taking this 5.5mil HRA home, and I'm glad he did:

The stock isn't stripey but it has excellent figure in the woodgrain and very nice matching metal. All three of these will look much better once I get the grease off and some Tung Oil in.

The were the usual racks of M1Ds and M1Cs, HRA and SA Corrects, the M1s with new stocks, and rackers of various types. I was surprised to see 45 Field Grade M1917s in the wall rack, and they looked great. Frank said they are selling well, too.

If you're looking for a nice M1917 or a great Service Grade, hustle on up there while they still have them!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:02 PM

Beautiful
Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM

Nice rifles!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:09 PM

Great pick up!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando View Post
beautiful
+1

:d
Old 01-05-2012, 02:38 PM

Nice! Did anyone notice anything about the WW2 parts content of the SG's or FG's? Sure do wish I lived closer to one of the Stores so I could hand-pick a rifle. I know I could order one, but I'm afraid if I did, my reaction when it arrived and I opened the box would be:

"Oh... OK. Maybe it's got some valuable WW2 parts?"
Old 01-05-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
Nice! Did anyone notice anything about the WW2 parts content of the SG's or FG's? Sure do wish I lived closer to one of the Stores so I could hand-pick a rifle
I looked through the Field Grades quickly, but gave them scant attention once I saw how nice the Service Grades were. I looked at most of the Service Grades, and the parts were pretty much all post-War. All of the obvious parts on two of my HRAs were of HRA manufacture.

Proximity to the North Store is both a blessing (nice rifles) and a curse (a perpetually empty gun account).
Old 01-05-2012, 04:18 PM

Default Good selection of higher end Garands

Well, I got there about 9:30 this am and the selection of Garand Service grades was the best I've seen in a long time. Most of the SA's had HRA bolts and a lot had HRA trigger groups and even some HRA op rods. The wood was very good. Only 1 serial # below 5 mil. There were no SA field grades.

There were 2 rows of HRA Field grades and the selection was not that good. There was a very nice selection of HRA Service grades and they looked very nice.

Overall, a very good selection of Garand Special, Correct, and M1C's......

Had 2 racks of WRA rack grades, but the only WRA part on them that was the receiver.......

Still a bunch of $5 slings and some stripped receivers.

No one was looking at the 16" bayonet's

The 1917's looked fairly well picked over, but they were in decent shape.

A Jan special...spend $1000 and get a free T-shirt.......

The really good news....no crowd and the paper processing time was minimal! Always worth the trip.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 PM

Just about the time I have myself convinced I'm happy with what I have already.........
Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 PM

Absolutely beautiful rifles.It's good to see some service grades again,but wow those are fine.