Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 AM

Default Planning NS Trip to Buy First Garand!

Hello, all!

I am planning a trip from New York to the North Store to buy my very first M1 Garand rifle. To be honest, M1s seem few and far between in my neck of the woods, and the ones I can find seem very expensive... ($1000-$1800). In addition, I've head about M1s with faulty parts, repro parts, or welded barrels and that kind of scares me!

As such, I have added all sorts of other WWII rifles to my collection, but I've been avoiding Garands up until now.

I recently got all my paper work in order and I am now qualified to purchase from the CMP. I'd really like to visit the NS in person to pick out a rifle that meets my specficiations. I also figure that buying a Garand from the CMP will help me avoid a rifle that has been messed with!

In a nutshell, I am looking for a Garand that I can shoot a lot that has at least a WWII vintage receiver and metal that is in good shape. I do not mind a Korean War era rebuild, as I see rearsenaling/ reissuing the Garand for post WWII service as additional history to the rifle. In terms of the stock, I like my rifles to look like they've actually seen field/ combat use. As such, I want scratches, dings, and dents as long as the stock is solid and stable!

With these specficiations in mind, what grade of Garand should I look for at the CMP NS and how much money should I expect to spend?

When would be the best time to visit the store to find a rifle that suits me?

Finally, can anyone suggest any motels in the area and other things to see/ do? I may have to bring my girlfriend along for the ride and I'll probably have to appease her!

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME AND CONSIDERATION!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:16 AM

Gizmo, going to the NS is the best way to meet your stated needs. The guys behind the counter will help you pick out a rifle if you ask them. The rifles have tags on them showing muxzzle wear and throat errosion. Look for MW=2 (or less) and TE=3 (or less). Less is better! Keep an eye on the NS reports here so you will have an idea of what's in stock. Better yet call the NS. Bob will tell you what's in inventory. The field grades cost 100 bucks less than the service grades but with a SG it's 100 bucks well spent. Call and ask if they have SG's with GI wood as that sounds like what you are interested in. It's summer so the hotels might be busy. If you know when you are going get a room b4 you leave. Remember, Wed - Sat. Closed on Sun, Mon, Tue.
Good luck. Jon
Old 06-19-2012, 11:45 AM

Area around Port Clinton is very busy during the summer months, doesn't matter if it's a weekend or not. Lots to do. The islands, Put-in-Bay and Kelly's are great. Jet Express boat ride is fun. Cedar Point(Sandusky) is one of the best Amusement Parks in the U.S. They have charter fishing boats(headboats) that run out of PC everyday. There also public/state owned beaches, jet ski rentals, etc. Should be able to find out about any of these by using google.
Guys at the store are great and will answer any questions. They will point out the good/bad of a rifle, but will leave it up to you make the call.
Good Hunting,
GG
Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Always call the store to see what they have in stock. The guys that work there are great. They will help you pick a nice rifle out. You better take enough for 2 rifles and 5 cans of ammo. Good hunting and hope you find a nice one!!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:51 PM

Lodging: http://www.portclinton.org/pclodging.html
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 06-19-2012, 05:35 PM

The last few years, the North Store has been well stocked with beautiful rifles during the National Matches. From July 5 through August 15 they are open almost every day, including Sundays. The schedule is posted on their web page and in the forum. If you can make it there during the matches, you will also be able to visit vendor's row.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 AM

Default NS

Is there any spam cans in stores?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1563621 View Post
Is there any spam cans in stores?
No, all loose ammo . 200 rounds in a 30 cal can. $98 plus tax.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

I think you might want to hold off for a bit. I was at the North Store on Wed. morning and if your interested in a SG the pickings were slim.....5 each of SA SGs and HRA SGs. There were plenty of Rack Grade SAs,HRAs and WRAs and Specials in 30-06 and .308. Didnt hear when a new truck would be coming in but will head back next week and see if they have restocked by then or if they will hold off till after July 4th.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
I think you might want to hold off for a bit. I was at the North Store on Wed. morning and if your interested in a SG the pickings were slim.....5 each of SA SGs and HRA SGs. There were plenty of Rack Grade SAs,HRAs and WRAs and Specials in 30-06 and .308. Didnt hear when a new truck would be coming in but will head back next week and see if they have restocked by then or if they will hold off till after July 4th.
It looks like my trip will be between the last week of July and the first week of August. I will definitely call ahead to make sure they have enough Garands in stock to make the trip worth-while for me.

Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 06-21-2012 at 06:37 AM.