Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 11:30 AM

Default My experience on the 13th

I hesitate to call this a store report as I am no expert and my exposure to the inventory was limited. I will explain this. I will begin with that it was a great day and made all that much better by the staff, particularly Jim, who took a great deal of time with my father and I. We cannot thank him enough.

We arrived at 0830 hrs and there was only one other party in the store and he already had a rifle in hand. This man was a good man, a veteran and secured an incredible find. a 5.9 Springfield that gauged very well and was correct save for the stock which was GI but not to the weapon. He took that home and I congratulated him on his good fortune. He deserved it.

I went to the Field Grades, Springfield's, and they were GI wood, mostly, and I found one that I liked. It had a NM barrel and OP Rod, GI stock and I was going to show it to staff for an opinion. Mr. Jim approached my dad and I and asked if he could assist us. I replied we could use all of the help he could offer. It did not occur to me just how much he would. He suggested I return the Field Grade as for 100 clams more he had some real gems in Service Grade. He said that National match barrels were desirable but not to base the purchase strictly on that item. I also explained to Jim that my Dad was a two war Marine who always wanted an M1 and unbeknownst to him, I was going to buy the weapon for him. My dad is 85 but still a trough old Marine at heart and loves the Garand.

Jim brought us to the Springfield Service grades and stated that the " best find of the day was the first rifle I described that went home with another good man. Jim found another 5.9 numbered Springfield with GI wood that was very nice and gauged 1 plus and 2TE. We put that one behind the counter. He also located another Springfield Service grade that was a 5.9 but wore CMP wood. To our untrained eyes it looked like a brand new weapon, literally. Jim looked it over and advised that it was an Air Force weapon that had been or was in the process of a National Match rebuild. The ME is 0 plus and the TE is 3. Jim stated that we shouldn't make a big issue out of the TE as it was well within specs and the other end was perfect as was the barrel itself. The barrel, an 01 of 52 had the shiny, almost chrome looking base and was as Jim put it, " in the white ". It was also made by Springfield. The weapon does have several HRA parts but I also have an HRA weapon with several Springfield parts. Perhaps one of you more learned members can advise on swapping them. I would appreciate your input. The stock appears to be CMP Walnut and it is flawless. The weapon appears to be right out of the box and when I handed the weapon to my dad and told him it was HIS, he was touched and thrilled. Now he and I can both shoot our M1's together and coming to the North Store was well worth the 900 mile round trip. Jim contributed to our experience as he was a true professional and treated us like family.

Ok. I did look around and will report what I saw. We were there for two hours and there were only three customers in the store during that time frame. PLenty of M1 C's and D's. I looked at several and if you want one, there are plenty to choose from. Basically full racks of Field Grade Springfields as well as Service Grades to boot. Mostly CMP wood on the Service Grade Springfields but if that doesn't bother you you've got some real gems to be had. I did not buy that Field Grade Springfield with the NM barrel and OP Rod. Far as I know it was still there and it gauged a TE of 3 and ME of 2 as I recall. Certainly not bad for a Field Grade. I did see plenty of Daisy air guns and the racks around the store were generally full. I did not ask about the HRA's as I have one and I did not look for them.

Alright, I wish I could elaborate more on individual weapons but we were trying to soak up as much as we could from Jim and all the other fellas that were there helping and answering my never ending questions. Jim even took the time to write down points of interest on the weapon for me as I have an issue with memory and would never be able to recall what he had related. I cannot say enough good about our experience.

Last edited by Badge; 09-14-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 AM

Good for you and your father. I am in CA and hope one day to make it to a store.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 PM

Congrats to you and your Dad. In and out of there in 2 hours???? Wish I could do that! Seems like when I get to the South Store, regardless of the time, they need to run me out to lock up in the evening....
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 09-14-2012, 02:43 PM

Gunny,
Don't get me wrong. We could have spent the day. Sometimes my eyes are bigger than my wallet. My Dad is the Garand man. He can still remember all of it's details and nuances. The fella's at the store appreciated his service in the Marine Corp and my Dad is probable the toughest man I have ever met. I am sure it goes with the service, eh Gunny.
Jeremy. It was so worth the trip and if you can manage it,.... GO ! I'd like to return and if I can wrangle it with the bride I will do it again. Just speaking with the staff is worth the trip. They make sure you are happy with not only your weapon but your time spent there. Great guys and gals there and I will never forget the trip with my Dad.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:32 AM

Can anyone advise me one way or the other ref. to swapping out the HRA parts from my Springfield, Air Force rebuild or would that be detrimental. I have a Springfield Bolt and Trigger Housing group. I appreciate any input.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:04 PM

Trigger groups aren't a big deal to swap, but if you swap bolts, be sure to check your headspace with a go/no-go gauge set.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:23 PM

Bubba,
Already taken care of but thanks just the same sir.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Banned

Badge,

I would field strip, inspect, clean, and lube any M1 Garand that I just recieved. Thats when you should exchange parts. They are an amazing weapon! A piece of furniture with a bold attitude that won wars along with the men who carried and exercised the power of our great Constitution!

You should come down here to the South Store. I live about an hour away and I cant get enough of it! If I didnt work, I would be a volunteer.

V/R
Sgt Rock
"Engineers Lead The Way"
Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Sgt. Rock,
You are so right. We did take the old girl apart and removed the cosmoline. We did swap out the Bolt and I have to get the head space checked ref. that. Do you know anything about these Air Force rebuilds? I am just curious. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Banned

Badge,

I do not know much about M1. I am learning every day. I am very familiar with the M16 because of my experience in the mil in the last 20 years.

But I know that the Air Force wanted to be a little diferent than other services so they worked on these to be the AF National Match equal to the Army. But not with all the original parts of the proper NM rifle.

But being Retired Air Force, I would love to have one. Just for a momento to the AF. The AF also had an M1 Grand for the Air Police (AP).

The Air Force still has some M1 Garands in service with the AF Honor Guard and some of thoes rifles are AFPG's.

Also, let your dad know that I said thank you for his service! From one Vet to another. Even though I am not a Marine, we still bleed the same and "Embrace The Suck" as brother in arms.

V/R
Sgt Rock
"Engineers Lead The Way"