Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Badge and ROck,
Do a "search" of this forum for "AFPG" and/or "Air Force Premium Grade" and a lot of threads will pop up. In short, my take is these were Garands in the inventory or ordered by the Air Force a s tweaked by their armorers for Air Force shooting teams. Others here are more astute in the program and shoud be able to fill you in.
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 09-17-2012, 01:33 PM

Sgt.,
Forgive me. I forgot to thank you for your service and dad appreciates that shout out as well. He is a tough, never say die Marine even at 85. I wish I were half as tough as he is.
Mine is not marked AFPG but I was assured by two parties at the store that this was in fact and Air Force rebuild. I do not doubt them. The weapon is pristine. Thatnks for your help friend.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:34 PM

Thanks Gunny. Will do.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Banned

Gunny,

Any advice from a Marine is good advice. Thanks.

V/R
Sgt Rock
"Engineers Lead The Way"
Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 PM

you'll need to do some sniffing around on it. There was some parts irregularities on the guns "as built" -- Springfield parts legitimately on H&R's or visa versa. That's IF you want to make it "as issued." If your intent is to just get all the same manufacturer parts on it, that's a different story. That's where the later garands and carbines in general lost me. We need a lot of info to make them "right."
Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 PM

Default ns visit

pretty sure I seen you 2 there I got there at 10. Lots of great rifles Picked up 2 airforce rifles wanted an H&R but couldnt swing 3 rifles. My wife would have killed me. Staff was great as usual
Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM

Were you the fella in the ballcap? We spoke with Mr. Jim,..... big fella with a gotee. All staff were great. I was with my dad,..... he is 85 and I am a lot younger but kinda busted up,.... he was in his glory there amongst like minded folks that love the Garand as he does. If you know more of these AF weapons please, I am all ears.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:03 PM

Fellas,
I've done a lot of looking for info but this seems to be the best place. My weapon does have the noticeable " polished " area around the base of the barrel and it was " in the white " per staff. I was told it was an AF rifle but it does not have the AFPG stamps. It's an SA, 5.9 with SA and HRA parts. I guese I am just seeking info on where it was rebuilt and when. Any suggestions?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Do you belong to the GCA...Garand Collector Association? In the summer issue 2012 there is an article on the AFPG rifles, you might want to give it a read. I also have one of these rifles from the NS.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 AM

Default I was there with you

I was that "good man" you refer to and also really enjoyed my trip to the NS. You had Jim as your guide and Santa that day and I had another exceptional and extremely knowledgeable guy who helped me thru the NS experience. It was my birthday that day, 9/13/2012, and I was there to buy myself a present. I still can't believe I left with three gems. I enjoyed you and your dad and the stories Jim and you were sharing at the counter. I can't say enough about the people at the North Store (Jim especially) and guys like you, your dad, and the guy that helped me pick out the 3 great Garands are the best. The people experience I had at the NS that day makes me feel that there still is good around us.

I didn't get the guys name that helped me but I sure want to thank him again, the 3 Garands are more than I had hoped for when I arrived at the store (if anyone knows who he was please let me know, they gave him his own apron when he walked in). I am not very Garand literate and the help I got at the NS was unexpected.

Once again, the NS experience was a dream day that I will long remember.