Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 01:27 PM

Default Original barrels?

Those who have been to the North Store, how many of the WWII serial numbered FG/RG SA's or WRA's have original barrels? I'd really like a project even if the barrel gauges high. I have plenty of shooters right now but want to build one that is all correct WWII. This one won't be a shooter but a display piece for my family WWII collection. If nothing else I may post a WTB ad for a barrel on my Nov '43 SA but I still would like to make a trip to the NS. Thanks guys.

Last edited by 101st_502nd; 10-02-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_502nd View Post
Those who have been to the North Store, how many of the WWII serial numbered FG/RG SA's or WRA's have original barrels? I'd really like a project even if the barrel gauges high. I have plenty of shooters right now but want to build one that is all correct WWII. This one won't be a shooter but a display piece for my family WWII collection. If nothing else I may post a WTB ad for a barrel on my Oct '43 SA but I still would like to make a trip to the NS. Thanks guys.
From my experiences at the North store, very few Field or Rack Grades have original barrels, but.....you never know what your going to find until you look! Plan on spending some time and enjoy looking! ...
Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 PM

I've restored a lot of my rifles and advise you that it'll be costly but enjoyable. If I sold any of mine I don't expect that I'll ever recover even the expense of the parts alone. For me the buttstocks have been the really hard and expensive part to come up with. A good percentage of my restored rifles are on "temporary" stocks until the right piece of wood comes along at a realistic price. I've even had to settle for some repaired pieces and some refinished original (?) buttstocks. Some I've refinished myself including trying to carfully steam-out or sand away some problems.

I'd try to stick with later WWII rifles (1944 or 45), as the parts can be a little easyer to come by.

Enjoy your quest, don't get in a hurry and be sure to check your shooter mix-masters for parts that might be what you're looking for.

BILL

Last edited by AK-Willy; 09-15-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:46 PM

Thanks guys. Good advice. If nothing else I want to have the experience of going to the North Store.

Do they happen to sell barrels alone there? My last Nov. 43 FG that they sent was mostly correct. Looks like maybe a GAW or EMcF stock might both be correct for that range and I've been keeping my eyes open for one.

Last edited by 101st_502nd; 10-02-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:31 PM

I've made about 10 trips to the NS over the past year or so. I've never seen a WRA barrel, in any condition, although I've seen a handful of original WW2 SA combos, all in the FGs.

I check every single gun in the store, looking for the gems and specifically hunting for WW2 B/R combos.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to CTM VT 2K

In August there was one (1) WWII BR in the store. It was an SA FG. It is in my safe now. I looked at every rifle in the store.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM VT 2K View Post
In August there was one (1) WWII BR in the store. It was an SA FG. It is in my safe now. I looked at every rifle in the store.
I picked up 2 FG with original barrels in July, both late war SA guns. One was for me (photos here), one was picked for another poster here (photos in this thread). I also got a WRA SG with a 1943 SA barrel, which I'm told could possibly be original (WRA apparently used some mid Summer SA barrels from 1943 during production, or so says a thread over on Jouster), but I'm not really counting that one.

There were a couple others, although one was iffy (the barrel was a little early for the receiver, but could possibly have been original), and the other had very high ME/TE.

I saw a couple dozen WW2 barrels, but all were the wrong dates for the receivers. Most of them were on WRA RGs, of all places.

Last edited by dpd3672; 09-15-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:59 PM

Re WWII dated barrels and wood: I'd call Jim at DuPage Trading he's a very good source for this stuff. Be willing to work on cleaning the parts to suite your restoration goal and/or spend some real money for these hard to come by items.

Enjoy the project. BILL
Old 09-15-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_502nd View Post
Thanks guys. Good advice. If nothing else I want to have the experience of going to the North Store.

Do they happen to sell barrels alone there? My last Oct. 43 FG that they sent was mostly correct. It has type II lockbars, correct bolt, op rod and internals. The only thing that it really needs is a barrel and stock and it'd be good to go. Looks like maybe a GAW or EMcF stock might both be correct for that range and I've been keeping my eyes open for one.
I just saw your post about your Oct 43 SA FG I just received my Oct 43 SA SG grade 2 weeks ago and from CMP and I am planning a trip to the North Store in a couple weeks to look for some WW2 FG's. Just curious about how close our serial numbers are mine is 20033xx. Also you may want to call Dupage as I just got a SA/GAW stock from them in pretty good shape nice cartouche just need a good cleaning and some sanding.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:47 PM

I saw 2 WWII barrels at the NS on the 6th when I went. One was correct for the receiver and the other had be re-barreled. Both were 44 and on FG SA's if my memory serves me. I think they were in the 4/5 range on both ends for wear.