Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuck50 View Post
I went to get an HRA this summer but a Krag went home with me instead!
Weren't those summer batch of Krag's nice! I live in Toledo so I have the ability to drive to the CMP in 50 minutes even without the intention of buying anything but just to handle some Garands. However, I got there right then they opened on Sunday July 8 as I had to register for the M9 Pistol competition and there were about 50 nice Krags. I had no intention to buy anything that day but there was a beautiful Krag on the shelf for $300. Headspace ok but with a dark barrel that is cleaning up. Otherwise, all complete and unaltered with 1901 sight and shootable condition. I'm still trying to determine if I have that Italian yellow walnut stock. Several strange things happened to me over the course of the following days. I opened the butt stock storage area and the 3 cleaning rods where in there. Then, I found a decent shape Krag bayonet and scabbard but with missing belt hook for $30 and an original Krag oiler for $18 throughout the rest of the summer. Karma was with me for finding stuff last summer but it was not with me when it came to good scores.

However, to keep this on topic, I'm finding it very difficult to find USGI wood anymore except on rack grade in the north store. Even rack grade are popping up with new wood. The HRA I bought in 2010 had a 1964 match barrel on it. Just after I bought in Nov 2010, I saw service grades were pretty much gone for most of 2011. This summer I saw a return of service grade but, again, lots of new wood. I can't comment on barrels and other parts and I do not look at them that hard. As someone who has stopped into the store every 2 months for the last 2 years, it's really hard to predict. It could be lots of rifles or a few rifles but the constant is there are always a number of service grade specials and Daisy 853's available.

Last edited by ajz1966; 09-28-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: add another comment
Old 09-28-2012, 01:46 PM

There were some nice Krags! Mine was carded as Service Grade!
Using an "agent" is probably smart. Your agent would pick you the cream of the crop as available at the store. This would be most benificial on Rack & Field grades. I spent over 4 hours choosing rifles for the guy from Utah! He did buy me a can of ammo for my trouble.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:52 PM

Wait, so the CMP is putting new production stocks on Field and Rack Grades too?
Old 09-28-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken792 View Post
Wait, so the CMP is putting new production stocks on Field and Rack Grades too?
Unless someone wants to correct me if I had an improper observation, I've seen new wood replaced hand guards on some rack and field grade. And, I believe, I've even seen completely replaced wood on a few also. For sure, I've seen them in the service grade section. They look just like the $995 service grade select ones then you see the tag on them that show TE = 3 and ME = 5. I don't want to give out wrong info so anyone chime in and let me and the readers know if I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time I walked into the CMP and been blinded by the beautiful sight of rack after rack of beautiful service rifles.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Was just at the North Store today and all the Field Grades were in GI wood...and not real pretty. LOL