Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 10:17 AM

Default 1903 versus K98 in Competition?

If you were given the choice to shoot 200 yard competition with either a M1903 (ladder sights) or a German mfg 98K Mauser, which one would you go with? Consider that both guns are in equivalent excellent stock condition and loads are fully dialed-in. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:22 AM

M1903 because it is equipped with a superior sight (w/windage adjustment) and swivels in the proper location for using the sling as a shooting aid.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:08 PM

If the real competition tracker was still available :-(
you could check the past scores at Perry for your answer.

At one point I owned 28 - 8mm mausers. None of them was as accurate as a good 30-06 1903. IMHO the Germans were foolish sticking with the 8x57.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ylite/BDO2.jpg
Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

While I have nowhere near that number of K98's, I disagree that they cannot be accurate. I have one that will group Sierra bullets into an inch. The Springfield sights are clearly better target sights, especially for old guys, but wars are not fought by old guys. The open K98 sights give the shooter much better situational awareness and I think that is more important in combat than absolute accuracy.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 11-07-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea3006 View Post
If you were given the choice to shoot 200 yard competition with either a M1903 (ladder sights) or a German mfg 98K Mauser,.............
For 200 yard competition the Springfield wins hands down. A better sighting system with a fully functional windage adjustment capability makes it a much easier rifle to get on target. The much harsher recoil of the 8mm cartridge must be factored in as well.

As to which is the better battle rifle, that is another discussion altogether. I do however, believe that was settled in 1918

Art
Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 AM

8millimeter, given your screen name & Mauser collections, thats a helluva statement about the 1903! For me, I shoot much better with the Mauser as my eyes are just too screwed up for the 1903 peep and V sight. Have some new prescription safety/shooting glasses coming in, will see if that helps take the fog away from the sights. If not, I'm putting a period scope on the Springfield or selling & getting an A3.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snellbaker View Post
For 200 yard competition the Springfield wins hands down. A better sighting system with a fully functional windage adjustment capability makes it a much easier rifle to get on target. The much harsher recoil of the 8mm cartridge must be factored in as well.

As to which is the better battle rifle, that is another discussion altogether. I do however, believe that was settled in 1918

Art
Yes...What Art said..All good points. I will put my 03A3 against any Vintage Bolt Gun. We got that one right. When I put the Marine Front Sight on it, It got just that much better. That black sits perfectly on top of that wider front post

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 11-08-2012, 05:44 PM

I may take you up on this Any vintage bolt rifle against your o3a3 with you shooting it.
I could always use another o3a3.
M-1 For Vets Match Director
Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronintank View Post
I may take you up on this Any vintage bolt rifle against your o3a3 with you shooting it.
I could always use another o3a3.
Aren't you a funny guy.... He who laughs last laughs best...Did you finally get internet that doesn't require a hamster?

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer