Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2021, 05:26 PM

Default Lost my front sight

So I am at the indoor range today, shooting my beloved CMP 1911 Colt. Low and behold, at some point a few rounds in, I notice that the front sight is missing. And it is gone, totally gone. It has broken off, leaving a pin in the slide. This pistol looks for all the world like it was never mismated. The slide looks very much like it belongs to this frame, and the serial number dates it to 1917. I want to get a USGI parkerized front sight installed, but who to go to? Who to trust with this job? I sent an email to CMP1911, but no answer yet. Any thoughts on how to proceed? What would you do if it was your pistol?
Old 02-21-2021, 05:45 PM

LoL - CMP folks are dedicated and love their jobs, but I don't think they work on Sundays. I'd give them a work day or two to get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWagon View Post
So I am at the indoor range today, ...

I sent an email to CMP1911, but no answer yet. Any thoughts on how to proceed? What would you do if it was your pistol?
Old 02-21-2021, 06:35 PM

That is honestly a fairly common thing to have happen. Pretty easy to fix with the right tool. Personally, I’d think it’ll be more of a pain to send the pistol back for repair than to do it yourself or find someone local with the tool. It’s literally a 2 minute job, if that.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:56 PM

just looked there are several youtube videos on how to remove it and replace
Old 02-22-2021, 09:25 AM

Is the post that goes through the slide round or rectangular? If it is truly a 1917 slide it should be round, and impossible to find an unused original. I bought a 1917 slide that was missing the front sight as well last year. The correct sized aftermarket small sight can be obtained from Turnbull, but will probably still need some fine adjustments to fit perfectly. I did not have much luck finding info on how to do this online for the round post sight.

I did quite a bit of research before doing mine, and the best tool is about $80 from Brownell's (and even their tool is designed for the newer wide tenon) and is cost prohibitive IMO for one sight install. I found a forum member who loaned me an old King sight tool for shipping. I traced that tool out on paper and made my own from 3/8" steel. I still have the drawing with measurements if you want to make your own as well. You also need some Loctite 640 to make sure that sucker stays in next time.

When I finally did the job, it took all of 30 seconds - pretty anticlimactic really for all the hours I spent fussing about it! Now that I have done it, I would not hesitate to do it again.

If you decide to do it yourself, let me know and I can give you more tips and pics offline of my repair and tool.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:04 AM

I just ordered a front sight with the round post from Turnbull. I will do this myself. Thanks much for all of the info. I never heard of Turnbull before, so now I know. Thanks again, you folks are great!
Old 02-22-2021, 05:49 PM

Good luck with the repair. It'll be satisfying to do it yourself.