Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2020, 01:59 PM

Default The New Hi Lux Unertl USMC Micrometer

I did (finally - USPS lost it) receive my Hi Lux 8X USMC Malcolm Vintage Sniper Scope with the new "Competition" Mounts - and was able to compare it with my real deal, original Unertl USMC micrometer mount, which I was lucky enough to find a couple of years ago - and yes, it was expensive.

I am pleased to say that the new Hi Lux product is functionally and visually a very good reproduction of the original Black coated USMC micrometer, but is actually an even BETTER piece of precision gear than the original Unertl ring, with crisper clicks and a couple of valuable improvements that, while retaining "The Look" but making it much easier to use on the range.

As others have previously reported, the optics of the Hi Lux Malcolm USMC scope itself are very clear and bright, and the previous "Lyman style" mounts have served pretty adequately for their owners, but this new "Unertl style" mount is at a whole new - and much improved - level of usefulness.

Not only are the clicks much crisper and more defined than my real USMC Unertl mount, but while they were building it, Hi Lux Malcolm thoughtfully improved it in ways they knew would actually be useful to the target/competitive shooters that buy this type of scope.

First, they reoriented the numbers on the elevation knob so you are not reading it sideways, and changed the direction of rotation so that it is the same as all modern optics/rifle scopes - so you do not get confused that you are moving your shot group one way when in fact you are moving it the opposite!

And a Very Neat new feature - once you have your gun zeroed, you can loosen the elevation and windage knob screws, then simply lift up the knob and reset it to read Actual Zero. So each time you pick up the rifle you can start from your ACTUAL mechanical Zero, and all of your calculations and come ups start from your real Zero! A very big upgrade, for ease of use/ergonomics and easy mental calculations on the fly.

So, if you've been waiting for that elusive original 8X Unertl to turn up for a none crazy price (as I did) - Good Luck with That - thinking it would be better, well, those days are done. The new mounts combined with the superior Brightness of modern coated optics make the new Hi Lux package functionally superior to a real Unertl 8X - and easier to learn and use.

For those of you who are happy already with their already purchased Hi Lux USMC scope but not thrilled with the Lyman style mounts, Hi Lux sells the new Malcolm/Unertl Vintage Competition USMC mounts separately so you can upgrade.

I have my rifle scheduled for the drilling and tapping soon, and will tell you more about it after I have put some rounds on paper.

Here is a Hi Lux video showing the new Vintage Sniper Competition Mounts in use on the range on their M1903A1 from 100 to 600 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEXVJ2ETa3E

Here is the web page for the new rings:

https://hi-luxoptics.com/products/ma...petition-mount

Nice to see the company spend the time and money to build a better mousetrap for what is a fairly small market. Kudos to Hi Lux Malcolm for a job well done. CC

Last edited by Col. Colt; 10-10-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:26 PM

The YouTube guy needs help ❧
Old 10-10-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisxllx View Post
The YouTube guy needs help ❧
It is my experience that so far none of the young people I have met have had the benefit of shooting Service Rifle with a real, wood and steel rifle and the shooting sling - and have to "feel their way along"! It's a shame they haven't had enough REAL Rifle training.

I was lucky - Uncle Sam was still supplying the DCM Rifle Clubs around the US with ammo and rifles when I was about twelve back in the '60's, and an old USMC Instructor taught me how to hold, shoot, use a sling, positions, the works. I used an M2 Springfield and DCM brown box ammo at the 50 foot indoor range in Independence, MO., and later a NM M1 at the State Championships at Fort Riley, KS.

Each one Teach One - all the younger generation needs is some good instruction !

PS - Here's another Hi Lux video on the new USMC Mounts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gZub5yqHbY

Last edited by Col. Colt; 10-11-2020 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:36 AM

I had owned an 03 Springfield, but had not heard of High Power matches nor the CMP Games matches until 2007. I was working in Dothan, Al and had joined a range. An old guy there, a vet and range officer, taught me how to use the M1907 sling. I was surprised how slinging up tight lessened felt recoil. I fired a few matches at that club and decided to make the trek to Camp Perry, that year. I didn't do all that well, but I fired the Springfield match, bought my first M1 Garand and fired in that match and I had borrowed an AR15 to fire in the Individual and the President's match. Firing and getting match experience was the goal of that trip. I had a blast. So, people, sling up that rifle and get "X"s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
It is my experience that so far none of the young people I have met have had the benefit of shooting Service Rifle with a real, wood and steel rifle and the shooting sling - and have to "feel their way along"! It's a shame they haven't had enough REAL Rifle training.

I was lucky - Uncle Sam was still supplying the DCM Rifle Clubs around the US with ammo and rifles when I was about twelve back in the '60's, and an old USMC Instructor taught me how to hold, shoot, use a sling, positions, the works. I used an M2 Springfield and DCM brown box ammo at the 50 foot indoor range in Independence, MO., and later a NM M1 at the State Championships at Fort Riley, KS.

Each one Teach One - all the younger generation needs is some good instruction !

PS - Here's another Hi Lux video on the new USMC Mounts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gZub5yqHbY
Old 02-27-2021, 08:22 AM

Are the new Unertl style Comp mounts taller than the Lyman style previously provided by Hi-lux ?
My James River Armory has an alteration to the bolt handle to prevent hitting the tube. I would like to be able to use a correct style bolt.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:38 PM

I think they are very close to the original USMC dimensions. And the Marines never had to notch their bolts, using standard Unertl height mounting blocks.
If you need more height, just order taller blocks from Steve Earle. CC
Old 02-27-2021, 11:17 PM

I ran a box test on my new mounts this summer. Worked great. They are a huge upgrade from the lyman style mounts that come with the scope as a standard. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Incase you still have your set, you can zero the knobs on the old version mounts too.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the info, hebes405 - I have never seen that in any literature I have seen - and I did download the Unertl scope manual. It makes sense you could zero it, though. CC