Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2021, 05:31 PM

Default What can you tell me about this 1903?

What can you tell me about this 1903 I found locally.

Yes, it's a low number. Please no long arguments about them. What worries me though is the odd struck 1...

Rebuild marks. RA For I assume Raritan Arsenal, and the FJA.

Now the weird part. I have never ever seen such a late date barrel on an 1903.
2 45?

Old 02-10-2021, 06:21 PM

That is a Remington WW2 production stock, not a rebuild stamp. The barrel is extremely late.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:41 PM

As you noted, you have a low number Springfield Armory M1903 rifle. The "1" in the serial number is highly unusual. It indicates that the "1" stamping die was broken and the armorer improvised. Improvisation happened.

As RH Scott noted, your rifle is fitted with a late Remington M'03-A3 stock and the stamps are consistent therewith. Your rifle is also fitted with a Remington M1903 bolt, Remington M'03-A3 bolt sleeve/cocking piece assembly, and an M'03-A3 trigger guard. And your rifle is fitted with a Sedgley Army-contract replacement barrel dated 2-45, which is the last known date of WWII barrel production.

In summary, your rifle has been overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts.

J.B.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:26 PM

Those Sedgley’s really shoot. That is a late barrel date.
Was shooting my Army Test XM Sedgley other day. Its a hammer!

Love your rifle.

Shawn
Old 02-10-2021, 07:36 PM

My Barrel is also 1945 1903 Springfield, is their a Hatcher hole on the right side of the receiver? My 1903 I purchased while I was on duty in Hawaii. Belong to the Hawaiian National Guard. The receiver on your 1903 is a low donít shoot serial number. It was a heat treat issue at Springfield on the Receiver. The Marine Corp ignored the warning it might blow up. And a captain devised the Hatcher hole. Some of the issues were associated with the care of the rifle. And the type of ammo that was being fired. I would agree that somebody probably assembled it, or did a build out of parts, lots out their for the taking. My rifle stock was full of termites and I disassembled it burned the stock, it was at least 20 years before I found a suitable replacement, hard to find in nice shape. Itís a great shooter, lots of fun at the range.AJ
Old 02-11-2021, 07:56 AM

Thanks guys.

Yep hole on right side.

I do plan to shoot it, but I will stick to garand safe loads for the small amount of shooting I do with it.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
Thanks guys.

Yep hole on right side.

I do plan to shoot it, but I will stick to garand safe loads for the small amount of shooting I do with it.
He should have said, LEFT side. There is a factory small hole on the right but he asked about a larger hole on the LEFT side, called by some a Hatcher Hole which would have been added later.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:10 AM

You should be good to go, I only shoot 150gr M-2 ball, that might be an X Marine rifle, the Marine depiction was on the barrel USMC. My 1903 my Serial Number is just over the safe to shoot. And had a proper heat treat at Springfield.AJ
Old 03-01-2021, 03:12 PM

He might be looking on the muzzle end, Hatcher hole is always on the left from the bolt, the Marines always called it on the right muzzel side. If it discharges, some guys sighted with their right eye some sight with their left eye. If the Hatcher hole discharges. The gases are really hot. Never shoot a Hatcher with short sleeves,