Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2021, 05:28 AM

Default 1903 and A3 bolt interchangeability?

Final questions - really. This always happens when I get a new rifle.
Have a Remington 1903A3 that I have had for a while. For this discussion I probably should note it has a new Criterion barrel.
Just picked up a Remington 1903 (ironically perhaps both made within a year of each other) that I am currently cleaning up and fixing. It has the original barrel.

Questions:
1) In theory should all Remington 1903 and 1903A3 bolts be interchangeable?
2) Should all 1903 and 1903A3 bolts be interchangeable regardless of the maker?
I understand there was (sometimes) a war on, with 1000’s made, and “stuff” happens during the manufacturing process but should they interchange?

My Remington A3 bolt apparently fits just fine into the Remington 03 action but the 03 bolt (mismatched Springfield bolt body) binds up just prior to closing in the A3 action - though it does have the new barrel.
Should all bolts (again in theory) be fully interchangeable in the 1903/A3 family regardless of maker? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:13 AM

Yes, all bolts were interchangeable so long as proper headspace was achieved.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:18 AM

Thank you sir!
Old 03-04-2021, 08:08 AM

The most critical part fit in any bolt action is that of the bolt's headspace.

This must be done using two very finely calibrated headspace gauges. One is a "Go" and the other is a "No Go". They look a little like short steel cartridges, and can be purchased from several different sources. The CMP used to sell them, but I don't know if they still do.

1903 and 03A3 bolts are interchangeable, in that they all should fit into the receiver. However, each has to be checked for proper headspace.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
The most critical part fit in any bolt action is that of the bolt's headspace.
1903 and 03A3 bolts are interchangeable, in that they all should fit into the receiver. However, each has to be checked for proper headspace.
Yes I have access to headspace gauges and will check everything when I am done. Think I’ll break out the “03 brothers” again and experiment a little and see why the 03 bolt won’t close in the A3 action. Curious now.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:56 AM

In theory, all M1903 and M'03-A3 bolts were fully interchangeable. In practice, however, that was not the case. Spare replacement bolts made by Commercial Controls (marked "CC" atop the handle) were not machined properly beneath the handle. The bolts, therefore, require that the stock be notched beneath the handle in order to close fully.

J.B.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:39 AM

Think I figured out where it is binding. Got a pic but oddly no direct posting here.
Anyway the extreme back end of the 03 bolt (where the 11:00 position would be if the bolt was closed) seems to be binding on the receiver wall/body not allowing full closure.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:42 PM

The extractor may have a slight bow in it that can cause resistance. if it were me, I would not use the 03 bolt in the A3. That is the easiest way to solve the issue.
Even though, in theory, both bolts should fit in each rifle, there are many reasons for a particular bolt to not fit easily in a particular rifle.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanclature View Post
The extractor may have a slight bow in it that can cause resistance. if it were me, I would not use the 03 bolt in the A3. That is the easiest way to solve the issue.
Even though, in theory, both bolts should fit in each rifle, there are many reasons for a particular bolt to not fit easily in a particular rifle.
Good plan!
Got one on the mail as we speak.