Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2020, 07:11 AM

Default The rarest .22 I know of

Well, since many people are stuck at home bored out of their minds, I thought I’d try to add some content.

https://imgur.com/a/DjOJPUQ

The rifle pictured is one of three I made. I qualified for and shot this particular one in the 2012 London Olympics.

The action was designed and machined by me. I used Anschutz triggers and either 1813 or 1913 wood stocks.

Sorry, no accessories pictured (butt plate, sights, hand stop, extension tube), as they are all at work and I’m stuck at home.

Stay safe out there!
Old 03-26-2020, 07:17 AM

Very nice, thanks for sharing? Do you still shoot this rifle?

WWG1WGA
Old 03-26-2020, 07:21 AM

I haven’t shot it since the summer of 2018. My shoulders just can’t take the stress of a proper prone position anymore.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:22 AM

Remarkable! Would love to know more about how you designed and produced it. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
Remarkable! Would love to know more about how you designed and produced it. Sincerely. bruce.
Well, I had an awesome Anschutz 1813 that I tried to find a backup for. Try as I might, I couldn’t find or have built an Anschutz that even came close in accuracy.

Being an overconfident engineer I thought to myself “self, you can design a rifle better than that.” Sometime in 2003 or 2004 I came up with the concept that made a front locking lug action easily loadable. I started designing it in Solidworks, but the project languished due to other life commitments.

I was deployed to Kuwait in 2007 with the Navy Reserve and “finished” up the design at nights. While deployed I also made the decision to go back active duty Army after I got home.

There was about a one month block of time in 2008 after starting the Army enlistment process before I needed to move to the Ft Benning area. I had a really good buddy that let me “borrow” his machine shop in Colorado on nights and weekends to make parts. In that month I had to learn CNC machining and figure out workholding and other issues.

This is when I also found errors and machinability issues in my design. My first effort, what would have been SN X00001, turned out to be an “engineering prototype” because of these issues. I worked through the issues and made enough parts for four complete actions. Nothing assembled at this point though.

After getting to the AMU at Benning it took me a while to settle in. One of the AMU gunsmiths took up the task of putting together the first of these guns for me, SN X00003 pictured above. As I just made a pile of parts before leaving Colorado and there was some tolerance issues that had to be fixed.

Once X3 was complete I went to test ammo and found it to be the best .22 I’ve ever shot! I began shooting this first rifle in 2009. Eventually X00002 (blued) and X00004 (stainless) we’re completed. X00005’s bore was too out of line with the lug raceways to be used.

I wish young engineers had to do something like this before going out into the workforce: design and then build their design. I learned more on this project than the four years of engineering school...
Old 03-26-2020, 06:09 PM

I know that rifle well, it has been involved in kicking my butt on more than one occasion!

Justin
Old 03-26-2020, 07:09 PM

Army-well with bad shoulders(totally agree), it's time to take that badboy over to .22benchrest! Pick up & carry can be stressful,but not like prone,offhand. Semper Fi.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:46 PM

Great story! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-27-2020, 05:55 PM

That is really great! I don't recall seeing a front lug .22LR anywhere.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:05 PM

outstanding !! Great gun and story