Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2020, 09:30 PM

Default Winchester 52B and 52D

Years ago (7 years ago, to be exact) I bought two Winchester target .22 rifles...a Winchester model 52B and a model 52D. Embarrassingly, I have not fired either rifle until this week.

I Recently started shooting in a 50 yard and 100 yard .22 rifle match at my local range and scoped both rifles so I could use them.

The 52B originally came with a Wittek-Vaver rear sight. I've also been told that it has a Canjar trigger. I put an EGW scope rail on it and shot it after the match today. I tried both Eley "Match" and Lapua Center-X. Both rifles seemed to like the Center-X better than the Eley.

I was a bit concerned about the EGW rail because it only attaches with the screw holes for the rear scope block. The groups look good, however. I put a Nikon 6-18 Buckmaster scope with a fine crosshair and target dot on the 52B (bottom rifle)

Here is the target for the 52B...5 shot groups @ 50 yards off a sand bag rest

Old 11-10-2020, 09:31 PM

I mounted a Ken Viani rail on the 52D and put a B&L 6-24 x 40 scope with a duplex reticle on it. I have more confidence in the Viani rail than the EGW, because it attaches at the rear scope block screw holes and the rear peep sight mounting screw holes. However, the EGW seemed to work just fine.

Again, the 52D seemed to like the Center-X batter than the Eley "Match"

Here are the groups for the 52D...5 shot groups @ 50 yards of a sand bag rest...

Last edited by Calfed; 11-10-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:16 PM

Yep. That's what they are for.
My complaint about the 52B is that all anyone has is 10-round mags for them, and that just looks hideous sticking out of the bottom.
My 52B is my Dad's rifle from the 30's, and I have original mags, and an original single feed mag for it.
For a while I found one or two 5-round mags after Browning made their run of 52's, but they have dried up now.

2 nice looking rifles there, and they look like they shoot pretty well.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
Yep. That's what they are for.
My complaint about the 52B is that all anyone has is 10-round mags for them, and that just looks hideous sticking out of the bottom.
My 52B is my Dad's rifle from the 30's, and I have original mags, and an original single feed mag for it.
For a while I found one or two 5-round mags after Browning made their run of 52's, but they have dried up now.

2 nice looking rifles there, and they look like they shoot pretty well.
These 5-round magazines are made by Wisner's on the original Winchester equipment and function identically to the originals. I use them exclusively instead of the original magazines.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...-prod7944.aspx

Best Regards,

Old 11-11-2020, 10:39 PM

Thanks, guys!

My 52B came with an original magazine, but it is nice to have a few extras.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W.A. View Post
"on the original Winchester equipment"
please
Old 11-12-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
please
I am not sure if that is a question or just a sarcastic trolling remark but the original Winchester stamping dies for the magazine bodies were sold as surplus in the late 70's to a gentlemen who produced replacements. When he retired his equipment was purchased by Wisner's. That is what I have been told.

If you have definitive information otherwise I would love to hear it so that I can update my notes.

Thanks,
Old 11-12-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W.A. View Post
These 5-round magazines are made by Wisner's on the original Winchester equipment and function identically to the originals. I use them exclusively instead of the original magazines.
https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...-prod7944.aspx
Brownells lists these for the Win 52 and 69, but they also work in the Win 75.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:16 AM

J.W.A. you are correct about the mags functioning. It was Walter Loadwick who obtained the "surplus" tooling originally from Winchester, reproducing the magazines with the "W" logo. Wisner's obtained tooling and manufacturing rights in 2010. Although Leroy sort of "retired" back in 2008, but still operates Twin Pine Armory in Adna, Wa. when he's not fishing. The "W" magazine bodies are now manufactured by Portland Metal Fabrication on contract. Final fit & finish are done at the Wisner shop. LeRoy's son, Jim, a highly respected gunsmith & part maker in his own right. His shop is Wisners Inc and sits right next to LeRoy's. All parts are sold thru this shop. Jim's wife runs the office and answers the phone.... she's all business. They sell the reproduction Winchester magazines directly for $20.

Here's the contact info for both:
Twin Pine Armory
P.O. BOX 58 Adna, WA 98522-0058
Phone: (360) 748-4590

Wisners Inc.
web page: Wisnersinc.com
Mail: PO Box 58, Adna, Washington, 98522 USA.
Phone (360) 748-4590

Last edited by Ben Tolson; 11-12-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:46 PM

Just ordered 4 from Brownells