Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2020, 11:54 AM

Default .30-40 Krag pet loads

I am finally getting around to shooting my US Krag rifle, but the Hornady ammo I bought has pointed bullets and they would hit the face of the breach and wouldn't chamber smoothly. So I assume I need to get some round nosed bullets.

What bullets and powder do you guys use for your pet loads?

I am just looking for some nice mild plinking loads for informal (fun) target shooting. These are some neat old rifles.
Thanks in advance.
Chris
Old 12-31-2020, 12:02 PM

My standard load for the Krag is 38.5 gr. IMR 4350 with the 220 gr. Hornady RNSP seated to the cannelure. It essentially duplicates the original ballistics with mild pressures and is very accurate.

mhb - MIke (CMF 98, too, Charlie)

Last edited by mhb; 01-01-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhb View Post
My standard load for the Krag is 38.5 gr. IMR 4350 with the 220 gr. Hornady RNSP seated to the cannelure. It essentially duplicates the original ballistics with mild pressures and is very accurate.

mhb - MIke
Been about 40 years since shot my Krag........but as best can recall.......slow powder and heavy bullets were the trick........MHB gives good advice.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:19 PM

Default 30-40 pet load

I don't need my Krags for hunting or long range shooting , so here is my only Krag load.
RP cases
175 gr GC cast lead bullet.
8 gr Unique.
CCI LR primer.
Vel 1220 FPS.
It duplicate the guard load, and is plenty accurate , but the main thing is, its easy on the gun.
Jim C
Old 01-01-2021, 03:40 PM

45 gr. of 4831
168 gr. match bullet.
Seat the bullet a little long for best feeding. Very accurate load and easy on the shoulder
Old 01-07-2021, 12:44 AM

37gr of H4895 with a sierra match king 175gr BTHP bullet seated to 3.070 with a light crimp. Its a tack driver in 3 different Krags - rifle, carbine, and cut down rifle.

You don't need a round nose bullet, spire points feed fine. Just work the bolt quicker. If it sticks, pull back a little bit then forward again and it will chamber fine.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:27 PM

I use 41.3 gr IMR 4064 and a 168 Gr HPBT. Very accurate and mild recoil. Seat the bullet to the correct depth to feed in your rifle.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhb View Post

mhb - MIke (CMF 98, too, Charlie)
There are a lot of pet loads out there but, to Mike's point, the general consensus for one of the best loads is the original military loading. It includes:

220 grain round nose bullet
40 grains of either IMR4350 or H4350
Large rifle primer
Commercial Brass

It has been found that IMR4350 and H4350 seems to shoot about the same velocities with a commercial case and 220 grain bullet. I always check a reloading manual to make sure loads are safe (by the book) and have seen 40 grains of either powder published so I use it.

The modern 220 grain round nose bullets (Hornady) don't have quite the same ogive as original military bullets but they are still pretty accurate. Casting a 210-220 grain round nose Linotype bullet with a gas check and shooting them around 1800-2000 fps has been good for some of my friends as well.

With regard to brass, Graf and Sons sells new production brass that works very well (made by Captec) and Remington and Winchester brass is out there. I recommend staying away from old military brass since the case necks seem to split very easily along with old commercial brass. I had some very old Super Speed cases that split the necks and one that split in the body due to being so old. I culled all the old stuff from my brass and threw it out. I know stick to new brass and generally just shoot the Graf / Captec brass in my rifle.

My Krag rifle, shooting a 220 grain RN surplus bullet with 40 grains of the above mentioned powders is one of the most accurate rifles I own. It has low recoil and shoots right at 2000 fps with this load.

Stretch
Old 01-10-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Charlie View Post
I am finally getting around to shooting my US Krag rifle, but the Hornady ammo I bought has pointed bullets and they would hit the face of the breach and wouldn't chamber smoothly. So I assume I need to get some round nosed bullets.

What bullets and powder do you guys use for your pet loads?

I am just looking for some nice mild plinking loads for informal (fun) target shooting. These are some neat old rifles.
Thanks in advance.
Chris
I load Sierra 220 RN (#2180) over 40 grains of imr4350 with WLR primers.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101052673/

Always room for more Krag shooters at

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.com/

Culpeper
Old 01-20-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch32 View Post
There are a lot of pet loads out there but, to Mike's point, the general consensus for one of the best loads is the original military loading. It includes:

220 grain round nose bullet
40 grains of either IMR4350 or H4350
Large rifle primer
Commercial Brass

It has been found that IMR4350 and H4350 seems to shoot about the same velocities with a commercial case and 220 grain bullet. I always check a reloading manual to make sure loads are safe (by the book) and have seen 40 grains of either powder published so I use it.

The modern 220 grain round nose bullets (Hornady) don't have quite the same ogive as original military bullets but they are still pretty accurate. Casting a 210-220 grain round nose Linotype bullet with a gas check and shooting them around 1800-2000 fps has been good for some of my friends as well.

With regard to brass, Graf and Sons sells new production brass that works very well (made by Captec) and Remington and Winchester brass is out there. I recommend staying away from old military brass since the case necks seem to split very easily along with old commercial brass. I had some very old Super Speed cases that split the necks and one that split in the body due to being so old. I culled all the old stuff from my brass and threw it out. I know stick to new brass and generally just shoot the Graf / Captec brass in my rifle.

My Krag rifle, shooting a 220 grain RN surplus bullet with 40 grains of the above mentioned powders is one of the most accurate rifles I own. It has low recoil and shoots right at 2000 fps with this load.

Stretch

I don't know who is making the brass that Graf's sells, but it isn't Captech. They've been out of business for a long time now. I wouldn't be surprised if it's PRVI.

As with any old brass, annealing is your friend if you want to avoid split necks. I routinely use brass from the 30's-40's and anneal necks/shoulders as a matter of course, with zero issues.

My favorite jacketed bullet load: 46 gr. IMR 4831 + 180 gr. Sierra RN bullet.

Note: there is a difference between IMR-4831 and H-4831. It is not interchangeable by any means. IMR-4831 is decidedly faster burning.

Favorite cast load: 18 grains SR-4759 + 190 grain bullet, gas checked and cast at a hardness of bhn 12. 17 grains 2400 and 18 grains 4227 is pretty good too.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01-20-2021 at 10:31 AM.