Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2021, 05:33 AM

Default 1903 series: Why two piece firing pin?

Did a forum search and couldnít find anything.
Guess the title says it all: Why the two piece firing pin on 1903ís?

I have a couple guesses but they are quite poor and of dubious advantage over a one piece pin.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:01 AM

Very easy to take apart and pull maintainence on the bolt is one reason. Take a part Win Model 70 bolt in the field.

Shawn~
Old 01-23-2021, 09:42 AM

Replacement ease/cost of a high wear part as well. If you get a worn or broken striker it's a small part that's easily replaceable, as opposed to say the entire cocking piece. From a design perspective it effectively retains the spring as well.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:46 AM

Guess my memory is poor and itís been a couple months since I broke down my 03 bolt all the way but isn't the firing pin essentially a Mauser-like pin in function but just in two pieces?
Old 01-23-2021, 09:54 AM

I'd gather yes as we had to pay Mauser for patent infringement. Again, having been a Joe in the field, I think the 1903 has the better design.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:52 AM

Default It could have been...

and probably was, a hold-over from the Krag, which had a similar arrangement, but was probably a better design. The 1903 striker rod has a sharp, square shoulder at its head, and is just as likely to break there as to suffer a broken firing pin point. The Krag assembly has no square shoulder, thus no stress point. It was more likely a cost-saving measure, thinking that it was less expensive to replace half of the assembly than the whole thing, but it seems likely that the one-piece Mauser firing pin with detachable cocking piece would be still less expensive to manufacture than the 3 pieces of the 1903 assembly. In any case, broken firing pin parts in the 1903 are rare.

mhb - MIke
Old 01-23-2021, 02:34 PM

Thanks mhb and everyone.
Guess I had forgotten that the back half of the pin contained the cocking piece - just looked at a parts diagram.
Suppose if the cocking piece had to be part of the pin the two piece job makes a bit of sense. But yes the Mauser way seems a little smoother.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:25 PM

The M1903 would have been far better if they had copied more Mauser designs. The striker was a hold over from the Krag design.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:06 PM

The 03 firing pin is weaker than the mauser 98. The point where breakage usually occurs is connection be tween the striker and the firing pin rod. Also later on quite a bit of engineering went into Match variations of the 03 Firing pin with the intent of removing the "slop" in the issue design.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:08 PM

I have always thought it was because of the cocking mechanism,on the 1903 Springfield. Rotating the bolt up will recock the firing pin or pulling back on the bolt pin will also recock the 1903, AJ