Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How is the condition and finish compared to most CMP 1911?
Great 35 47.95%
Good 30 41.10%
Fair 4 5.48%
Poor 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2021, 04:31 PM

Question Cmp 1911

I finally received my CMP 1911. Honestly, I completely forgot about the program when I received the call from CMP. When I was issued my RGN, I was somewhat disappointed and wasn't holding my breath for the call.

Packet sent: 9/7/2018 FedEx
RGN: 184xx E-mail received March 7, 2019
Contacted that my RGN was up: 12/17/2020
Grades offered: All three
Shipped: 01/04/2021
Received by FFL: 01/05/2021
Make received: Colt frame and matching Colt slide
Model received: 1911A1
Serial Number received: 902xxx
Grade received: Service
Notes: It has no rebuild markings and at first glance it seems to be all Colt.

I took some quick pictures while I was at the FFL and will share some more detailed photos when I have a chance (barrel, top of slide, hammer, safety, etc.).

Any info on this Colt will be greatly appreciated.
Since it does not have any rebuild marks, can anyone share any info if it was rebuilt and re-parkerized? If so, how would you rate the finish it is currently in now? It seems that the stamps and proof marks are still pretty deep and legible. There is a pretty deep gouge on the right side of the frame and a pretty large "idiot mark." If anyone has info on the stamps and proof marks, please share.

Does the parts on this 1911 seem correct for the pistol and time frame? Hammer? Safety? Mainspring Housing? (will try to get more pictures of the items)
Not sure what kind of barrel since I haven't had a chance to field strip the pistol yet.

It came with a new Mecgar magazine. Looking to pick up some period correct magazine...any suggestions on a good source? What would be period correct for this pistol? Also any good source to get other period correct parts?

Overall, how would this 1911 rate as a collector piece? I'm new to military surplus and 1911s in general and appreciate any info that can be shared. I admire the historical importance of this firearm and couldn't pass on the chance of owing a "piece of history." I'm thankful to CMP and all the staff in running this program.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/192028598@N05/3r38e2
Old 02-06-2021, 04:51 PM

Wow! I am envious of OP's pistol, but not unhappy--it is luck of the draw. I was super lucky with an RGN below 2,000 and was offered the only option of a SG. It was a RR/RR sandblasted beyond belief with the SN and other stamps only "imaginable." Tight as hell, a good weapon to go, but not pretty. A lot of these high RGNs are getting beautiful pistols. Sometimes the tortoises win the race! Congrats to all. Long live the CMP.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:57 PM

Nice one! Dates to early 1943, and definitely blasted and refinished.
Overall nice shooter condition and should increase in value. I have read here perusing older threads many were refurbed without markings.
A good detailed and reasonable reference book is the 3rd edition of Joe Poyer
"The model 1911 and model 1911A1 military and commercial pistols"
I'm just learning, but many here are old salts, and will tell all you want to know.
Would be proud to own it!
Old 02-06-2021, 11:21 PM

3rd shipment of pistols have been looking to be the best ones yet!
Old 02-06-2021, 11:27 PM

yes rebuilt and reparked
Old 02-07-2021, 12:21 AM

You might have a US&S safety. Would you mind posting a picture of the checkering?
Old 02-07-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgunjib View Post
You might have a US&S safety. Would you mind posting a picture of the checkering?
Will get some more pictures by next weekend. Thanks for for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danduf98 View Post
yes rebuilt and reparked
Is the slide re-parkerized as well? I ask because I can see the two tone from the finish (with the area near the muzzle being darker than the back of the slide). I thought I read it somewhere that is due to the heat treating process and over the years, that's how it will patina.

Any chance it's the original finish? Thanks.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:25 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was fortunate and got a great looking fresh rebuild that I am certainly happy with. Personally I like the look of something that isn't new. Part of why I usually order field grade garands. I don't like things all beat to hell but some honest wear on these vintage pieces brings some validation to where they have been.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:39 AM

Mine was nothing out of the ordinary.The only thing that kind of threw me was the finish.I could understand replaced parts etc but it looked like a couple junior high kids were learning how to use the sandblaster when it was refinished.I should have chosen a RG and not worried.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:20 AM

I am happy with the fit/finish on mine. It is SN 9051xx. Field Grade, Rebuilt at Marine Logistics Base Albany (GA) by the USMC in 11/1980

Colt Frame
Ithaca Slide
HS Barrel

Pics here -
Link should be working now (fixed permissions)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/460642...57713002197067

Last edited by MGMKS; 02-11-2021 at 03:19 PM.