Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2021, 08:23 AM

Default 1903a4 Build Project

I have always wanted a 1903a4, but 1) cant afford a real one, and 2) didn't want to bugger up a perfectly good rifle.

Well yesterday luck had it that a good donor rifle was dropped in my lap. This rusty crusty 1943 Smith Corona barreled receiver was found in an attic under the insulation in just this state. No other parts were found besides the bottom metal. The side of the rear bridge is drilled and tapped for a peep sight and the top of the receiver is drilled with 3 holes for a scope mount. These will most likely need to be filled in carefully and re-tapped for the 2 holes required for a redfield Jr. mount. The biggest shame is the barrel. The bore is amazing...better than my other 1903a3, but it has been cut behind the front sight mount and re-crowned. Makes me want to cry...

I will now begin the task of acquiring all the missing parts, getting it re-barreled, re-stocked, and refinished. I plan on getting some parts parked, and some parts blued the way that the parts SHOULD be. In no way am I trying to pull this off as a real A4, but I want it to look as close as I can.

So far I have ordered some vertical split rings, a weaver k2.5, a new CBI barrel from the CMP. I've gone through the parts list of the items I need still. I plan on re-barreling it myself as I have some experience with this in the past.

Stay tuned to (hopefully) watch me breathe some life back into this old rifle.
COMPLETED PICTURES ON PAGE 4!

Last edited by Jpolham1; 03-17-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:50 AM

Well: you have your work cut out for you, but you're off to a good start. Only suggestion I have is to drill a Redfield "type" base to match your receiver holes. This is much preferred over further butchering that receiver. Another alternative would be to finish off the SC into a sporter and find a Remington A3 donor for your A4 repro project.... Good Shooting
Old 02-10-2021, 08:37 PM

Go to your user CP panel (top left) and you will find a setting to display pictures.

As ceresco said you have some work ahead. Should work out well.
Before you worry about the pitting remember that most of the new "repro" 1903A4s were made from drill rifle receivers and are not reparked, they used Ceracoat or Duracoat (I forget which) for the finish. Cheaper and easier than polishing and parking. No matter how well you build it it will still have plugged holes and won't be a 1903A4, so consider that before striving for 100% correct in parts/finish.
However, it's your project so build it your way.
Plenty of threads on building these on the forum.
Please keep the thread update with your progress.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 02-16-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:55 AM

Holes Filled, and my scope came in. A weaver k2.5. Scope rings and mount should be here soon as well. I went with the CCOP mount as it has the best feedback of all the mounts available.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:24 AM

Looking good
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 02-16-2021, 03:10 PM

I don't know what you used to fill the holes, but when playing with drill rifles that had oprod welds, the repair would not take parkerization evenly and there would be darker spots where there were welds. I thought I was going to have to paint them and I decided to give park "blackening" a try. I was amazed to find that the results were quite good. All the dark color was even and you could not tell where the receiver oprod area had been welded. Just an idea.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:57 PM

thanks, I was aware the weld spots would be a different color, tell me more about this park blackening... I havenít heard of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by col b View Post
I don't know what you used to fill the holes, but when playing with drill rifles that had oprod welds, the repair would not take parkerization evenly and there would be darker spots where there were welds. I thought I was going to have to paint them and I decided to give park "blackening" a try. I was amazed to find that the results were quite good. All the dark color was even and you could not tell where the receiver oprod area had been welded. Just an idea.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:08 AM

Nice repair job on the screw holes. Keep the updates coming. I love these projects. I suggest getting a SMAG bolt. They are top notch.
What happened to that poor rifle to end up so rusty?
Old 02-17-2021, 06:24 AM

Thanks. The plan is to work with smag for more than just the bolt. Stay tuned on that. I wish the rifle could talk, it was found under the insulation in an old timers attic near me. Looks like it was drilled for a peep sight, then my guess is his eyes got old so he had it drilled for a scope. Why it was left stripped in the attic is beyond me. Poor thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
Nice repair job on the screw holes. Keep the updates coming. I love these projects. I suggest getting a SMAG bolt. They are top notch.
What happened to that poor rifle to end up so rusty?
Old 02-17-2021, 08:34 AM

Rings arrived, they look fantastic. Vintage 40's from what I'm told. Vertical split rings look unused. Bought them from an old-timer.

Tags
1903, 1903a4, build, sniper, springfield