Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-16-2021, 08:26 PM
Griff557 Griff557 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Grand Rapids MN
Posts: 514
Default Swede 96...41B repo

Kinda bored and looking for a new project. Is there anyone that is drilling/tapping bending the bolt handle to make a repo Swede 41B sniper.

I haven’t seen many M96’s that have been D&T...kinda goes against the grain to “bubba” up a perfectly good rifle.

What’s the overall impression of the 41B’s I know the CMP limits them to 4x scopes. I have a 1941 Marine repo with the 8x scope that I would guess holds an edge at 600yds
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2021, 10:10 PM
xroads xroads is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: east hartford ct 06108
Posts: 363
Default

i've built some m41b clones. used the mount setup from accumounts w/weaver k4 w/crosshairs. east coast use larry racine (lrp gunsmithing) in nh. western states use chuck in denver co. mine were built on non-matching m96's (would not mess up a matching rifle). use m38 bolt which is already turned down and has the correct length. they were available new on ebay and headspaced correctly. using 140 gr bullets w/imr 4831 will get sub min groups out to 600 if you do your part. also recommend the leather cheekpiece which is still legal for cmp. enjoy the build.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2021, 11:10 PM
Griff557 Griff557 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Grand Rapids MN
Posts: 514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroads View Post
i've built some m41b clones. used the mount setup from accumounts w/weaver k4 w/crosshairs. east coast use larry racine (lrp gunsmithing) in nh. western states use chuck in denver co. mine were built on non-matching m96's (would not mess up a matching rifle). use m38 bolt which is already turned down and has the correct length. they were available new on ebay and headspaced correctly. using 140 gr bullets w/imr 4831 will get sub min groups out to 600 if you do your part. also recommend the leather cheekpiece which is still legal for cmp. enjoy the build.
Appreciate the info-I’ve had Chuck do work for me in the past. Have you had any issues with the accumount ? I’ve read they can be hit or miss quality wise. If I read the CMP rules right the only none issue legal scope is a K4 Weaver? Did you have any issues running out of windage adjustment or having to shim the scope mount?

Last edited by Griff557; 02-16-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-17-2021, 01:34 PM
Calfed Calfed is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,770
Default

Several years back I got a great deal on a Swedish M96. It is not a total mixmaster...bolt and bolt components, receiver, and buttplate match. Floorplate, barrel bands and bolt release do not. Bore is great.






My cheap camera can't quite capture the bore's shine.



I never really shot it much, but here is 5 rounds of the PPU 120gr "target ammo" @ 100 yards shot with iron sights right after I got it.



two years ago I decided to convert one of my M96's into a Swedish sniper rifle for use in the CMP vintage sniper rifle matches. This one got the nod. I bought an Accumount repro scope mount and sent it to a trusted gunsmith. He is fairly busy and it took some months for him to complete the job. In the mean time I got a smoking deal on a real Swedish M41B sniper rifle, but that is a different story.

After he completed the job, he sent me several pictures of the rifle and I must admit, it came out looking good.




Last edited by Calfed; 02-17-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-17-2021, 03:53 PM
Calfed Calfed is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,770
Default

I used one of my Husky turned down bolts initially and had Jim R. The Bolt Man turn down the original matching bolt. He did a great job.







My faux M1B usually shoots around .75MOA with a weaver K4 scope.


@100 yards...




@200 yards



@300 yards (group size 2.4" (not including the pulled shot)


(group size 2.7")
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-17-2021, 07:36 PM
Griff557 Griff557 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Grand Rapids MN
Posts: 514
Default

As a general rule how are the bores on the Swede’s Iam guessing they didn’t see a lot of rough use. Did they use corrosive primers ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-17-2021, 08:47 PM
Calfed Calfed is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff557 View Post
As a general rule how are the bores on the Swede’s Iam guessing they didn’t see a lot of rough use. Did they use corrosive primers ?
The Swedish bores are usually in good shape and the Swede's did not use corrosive primers.

The Accumount scope mount and gunsmithing required to convert an M96 into an M41 dwarfed the cost of any of my M96's. That being said, it made sense to use my most accurate M96 for the conversion, regardless of whether it was all matching or not. I used this one because although not all matching, it was in great shape and was most accurate. It appeared to have been through repair at the Östersund Tygstation, based on the "Crown O" stamp behind the trigger guard

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-18-2021, 10:32 PM
DaveInGA DaveInGA is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hoschton, GA
Posts: 120
Default

Nice!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2021, 02:14 PM
Colo61 Colo61 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Posts: 6
Default M41 Fan

I have shot my M96/M41 conversion for many years in CMP sanctioned VS matches. I used the Accu Mount and did the drilling myself. I have a K4 and have never had any issues with the rifle. It was a gun store rifle that someone had tried to drill for a modern scope mount and had given up for some reason?? I figured that the rifle was already scared, I wouldn't be sent to Swedish hell in the afterlife. It is a 1/2 MOA rifle with reloads and the only issue I had was the cheek/chin weld. I made myself a leather repro riser copied from a photo of an original because I could not find anyone making them and were still available. The riser was a game changer for the rifle. I have sold quite a few at travel games to other Swede enthusiasts. Robs10x@outlook.com if you are in need of the same.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-02-2021, 02:23 PM
Calfed Calfed is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo61 View Post
I have shot my M96/M41 conversion for many years in CMP sanctioned VS matches. I used the Accu Mount and did the drilling myself. I have a K4 and have never had any issues with the rifle. It was a gun store rifle that someone had tried to drill for a modern scope mount and had given up for some reason?? I figured that the rifle was already scared, I wouldn't be sent to Swedish hell in the afterlife. It is a 1/2 MOA rifle with reloads and the only issue I had was the cheek/chin weld. I made myself a leather repro riser copied from a photo of an original because I could not find anyone making them and were still available. The riser was a game changer for the rifle. I have sold quite a few at travel games to other Swede enthusiasts. Robs10x@outlook.com if you are in need of the same.

Sounds good! PM sent.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.